91 Explorer Exhaust manifold removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer Exhaust manifold removal

spike03

Reaction score
City, State
Crawfordsville,Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Sport
As the title states, I am trying to remove the exhaust manifolds so that I can pull the heads and change out the lifters. (I finally got tired of listening to the tapping noise) But, try and try as I might they are not coming off without a fight. I have soaked the bolts down with liquid wrench for the past three days before I go to work and then again when I get home. I today decided that I would have better luck just disconnecting them from the exhaust flange and then just pull the manifold with the head. HA this rust bucket will have nothing of the sort. So, all you masters of rusty bolts I am open for suggestions. This is not my only vehicle but I would like to get it done so I can start saving the miles on my truck. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i also had a problem removing the exhaust manifold at the exhaust flange.. did u try heating the area up? in some places where you can't heat up, or you cant just get enough heat, try bolt extractors:

177815.jpg

it grabs onto the bolt's head and digs deeper into the bolt as you turn counter-clockwise (unscrew the bolt).. it also destroys the bolt head in the process so obviously ull have to replace the bolt when you put it all back together.

B00008KISJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

a good set of bolt extractors is a must for ur toolbox

well I only use PB blast or Zep 45 for rusted up bolts I like the zep 45 better because it is like a foam and don't run off as fast it does a nice job, if that don't work than heat is the next thing but it is a hard with the little room you have to work with.

yeah. i agree with PB Blaster, we use that at my shop, and it always does the trick

We used liquid wrench in the yellow can, harder to find, but works better than the stuff in the blue can. Also, a little help from a mapp torch and bolt extractors!

Back