91 Explorer Knocking noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer Knocking noise

Ajbeck_88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford explorer XLT
Hello, this is my first post here. I had a quick question about my 91 explorer. The other day I noticed it was leaking coolant from the lower intake gasket. I took it all apart, replaced the gasket and valve cover gaskets as well. I filler her back up and started it, I started to hear a rather loud knocking noise from the passenger side valve cover. I shut it off. I wondered if I had left something in there so I took the valve cover and upper intake back off. I couldn't find anything. Put it all back together, started it, the knocking was still there, I let it run and warm up, and the knocking noise went away. I put 70 miles on it and it ran fine. I can't still hear it very faintly, and it does effect the rpm, very little though, maybe 100 rpm. Could this be a vacuum leak? That's the only thing I think it could be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your rocker arms, they are known to wear

Its hard to diagnose an issue from the web. If it sounds like a knock, it could be a stuck valve, a rocker, a piston, etc. Lots of these older 4.0's develop a "tick" that goes away after the engine warms up. Mine has that, but I found out it was a exhaust manifold leak that is not worth fixing as it goes away after about 30 seconds. If it sounds like a vacuum leak, that's a totally different kind of noise. If you got through that intake seal job, it sounds like you know your way around a engine. I am in the process of that now and its a job. Biggest issue for me is getting all the wiring and vacuum lines in the right places.

Ya getting the passenger side valve cover off was no easy task. I had to pull the alternator and idler pulley off.

Back