• Register Today It's free!

91 explorer manual hub

CmPExplorer91

Reaction score
City, State
new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EddieB
i have a 1991 ford explorer eddie, i want to convert the auto hubs to manual. Gonna go through warn and get them from there. I wanted to throw 31x15 tires on it, pretty sure the tires will rub. I read people took F150 springs and warrior shackles for more lift on body. I'm not sure that will clear it enough and be reliable later on. I know the bigger tires will hurt fuel mileage and most likely wreck my diff/xfer case. Throw some suggestions out please. Nothing super crazy, perfer to buy online for parts if possible.

I run 31.6" tires with the F150 coil seats and Warrior shackles. Had to trim the rocker molding a bit and I run spacers so offset may be different than your combo. But, point being, you should be able to run 31s with that setup as long as your front springs are not saggy. Expect it to rub a little at full lock. I ran 31s on a stock, non-lifted 2WD Explorer Sport once and it barely rubbed, so keep in mind that all tires are different too.

Your diffs and transfer case will be fine with the larger tires. They are both very strong. Your fuel mileage will probably take a hit though and your transmission will be working a little harder so add a transmission cooler if you run an automatic. Change the diffs if it's in the budget. 4.11s or higher is probably a good idea, I run 3.73s with the 31.6" tires and it's acceptable for a daily driver but could be better.

When I converted my auto hubs I used the Mile Marker hubs and their conversion kit. Have been happy with the quality so far and the price was a little better than the Warn units. Alternately you could get some good used stock manual hubs, those were made for Ford by Warn and so they hold up well.

So i need the Coil seat, not the coil it's self from a f150? Also the coils in front are shot, want to replace. Get org stock ones or something else?

Yes, the lower seat is the important part. The F-150 coil may not fit, may be a different length, and definitely wouldn't be calibrated correctly for your application.

I installed a pair of new Moog springs. They are pretty affordable from RockAuto.

Don't forget you'll have to get an alignment after the lift. Your stock camber eccentrics may work fine (mine did) or you may have to install a different set. The alignment shop can provide them usually as most Ford TTB setups use the same ones so they'll have some on hand. Also, don't buy any BS they give you about "we can't align a TTB" or "it'll cost $500", I got mine aligned for $80 and watched them do it, plus had the shop customize my alignment to my own preferences.

Back