91 Explorer No Clutch or Brake Pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer No Clutch or Brake Pressure

PermafrostDan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
Hey, all, thanks for reading. So, I figure I probably need to replace my master cylinder, but I thought I should check with you guys first. Last October I replace the lug studs on my front right wheel, and I probably wasn't as careful as I should've been. I also thought it was odd that I didn't need a pressing tool to get the caliper back on, and it just slid back into place. Anyway, not long after replacing the lug studs I started losing brake pressure when driving around town, and the fluid in my master cylinder reservoir kept getting low. After a few weeks the brakes got really bad (no pressure at all), and then when I tried to start it one morning I found that I couldn't disengage the clutch. Now, the truck is stuck in my front yard, getting snowed on.

So, here's my question, how do I know if I have a bad master cylinder, slave cylinder, or just air in my lines? I never bled the lines after replacing the studs, but would that cause me to lose fluid out of my reservoir and the clutch and brakes to lose pressure? I've tried to find out where I'm losing the fluid from, but it's -30 outside, so the fluid freezes before I can spot it.

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

Hmm, the brakes and the clutch are two separate systems, each having it's own reservoir and own master. I don't think the two problems are related, or connected.

If you're losing brake fluid, you're going to have to get under and look to see where it's leaking. Look on the inside of all four wheels, with particular attention on the wheel you were working on.

Oh, really? For some reason I thought they shared the reservoir. Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to crawl under there soon.

Back