'91 Explorer, Should I?

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
I was looking at a '91 Explorer at a junk yard today. Talked to the guy real quick(he was leaving to pick up another car). He said it needed at little work, but the major thing was a leaking main seal(?) on the tranny. He said as long as you keep fluid in it, it runs. New tires, 130k miles.

Two questions,
How hard is it to change the main seal? Is it worth it? I wanna swap a 5 speed into sometime this summer.

How much should I offer. He wouldn't give me a price on it, so what would sound fair.

BTW- It looks like a mini pumpkin :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They won't even sell them around here. For the $500 that they can get for them they can make a couple of thousand on parts alone.
Body is main concern.

You have to pull the tranny to change the seal. Its easy once you get the tranny out. If its the engine seal, you have to drop the oil pan down to replace the seal.

How much is the seal itself? I'd like to run the auto until its turned its last mile. Then swap in the 5 speed.

The guy said he'd rather sell it whole. Its really not a bad truck. And it really shouldn't be parted out. :p I'm gonna take a closer look Thursday and grab some pics. The dad is gonna take a look Saturday, and I should know by next week whether it has a spot in the driveway or not.

That still just leaves the price. He said to make an offer. I would like to offer $900 or so. But that seems a little low. I dunno though!

It has been a long time since I have purchased a seal. If I had to make a guess id say about 15 to 30 bucks.

Great! God do I want this sucker. I shall call it my mini pumpkin :D

a 91 x that needs work?

Offer him $450.00. Sure it runs, but get a quote on replacing that seal (didnt say if it was front or rear main....)

The part is cheap, its the labor to get to the seal that sucks.

i think he was planning on doing it himself. damn, if u could get that x for 900, fix it for $30, u could easily make a $1000 profit by sellin it, provided nothin else is wrong with it. wish i could find an x that cheap with a decent body on it :(

Two summers ago it cost me $400 to have a front seal put in.

Well, if the front seal is as easy as Redrig says it is, then I'm gonna replace it myself. I'd love to offer him $700, but he might think that i'm crazy!

Originally posted by jgilbs
i think he was planning on doing it himself. damn, if u could get that x for 900, fix it for $30, u could easily make a $1000 profit by sellin it, provided nothin else is wrong with it. wish i could find an x that cheap with a decent body on it :(

He was planning on doing it himself, but thats not the point. 99% of the population would have to pay someone to do it. Factor in that cost with the vehicle and let it work to your advantage.

I just bought a 91 x with 140k miles on it. It needed lots of simple work, but i only shelled out 650 for this xlt 4wd x that is maroon, has running boards, tinted windows, very nice interior, etc.

Great idea slag!! I'm gonna say about its gonna take $500 to get it fixed, and be like, here's $600, take it or leave it. One the plus side, it has new tires. They look bigger than stock though. Maybe not. I dunno.

I got a '91 this past October. 183000 miles. $450.

As Slag said. Bargain as though you were paying for the labor.

I hit this guy with a Fuel Pump replacement, Rear Window Regulator (check your windows!) Total tune up. Auto 4WD hub replacement, Windshield Washer motor.
Detailing of interior. I don't think a drop of coffee made it to his mouth.

A lot of elbow grease, not much money out of pocket. Spray Can rug cleaner, Fuel Pump RELAY, Windshield washer motor had a bad connection. The car is great now.
BUt you gotta sum it up with Mechanics labor.

Welp, its a no go. It needs alot of work. Brakes all need redone, all new lines too. Shocks are all shot, Front suspension needs work. Body is a little rough. Just waaay to much for what I was looking for(duh, its a junk yard). And the guy wants a minimum of $800. So that is a definete no no.

On the good side, I think i'm gonna redo my interior with the money I was gonna put towards this beast. And add a tranny cooler and filter. :D

Back