91 Explorer Stalls & Dies in Warm Weather | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer Stalls & Dies in Warm Weather

PermafrostDan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
Hi, all. Thanks for reading. I've been dealing with this problem for a year now and haven't had luck figuring out what's causing it. Any help is appreciated.

I live in Fairbanks where the weather most of the year is very cold, but we do have several months of warm summers (70s & 80s). When driving my explorer around town in warm weather the truck will start to lose RPMs, drive real sluggish, and then it'll start to sputter/rattle when put into first or moving into 2nd and 3rd. Then it'll stall completely and die. Usually, when it dies like this, I'll restart it and it'll crank up with very high RPMs and then drop down to very low RPMs and sputter out. Sometimes I have to wait an hour or two before I can drive the truck again. Oddly enough, the truck usually drives fine, and this problem doesn't happen on every warm day, but it never happens on cold days, leading me to believe it is a Hot/Cold issue. Also, the truck will often sputter when going up hills and seems to suffer from a consistent loss of power.

I've replaced the MAF, Fuel Pump, Sending unit, Filter, Spark Plugs, Wires, Battery, and Cables. I've also cleaned the IAC. There are no engine codes. Recently, the fuel gauge stopped working properly and goes all over the place from full to empty, but I figure this is unrelated. Any ideas what this could be?

I appreciate your help. I'm about at my wit's end.

The fuel gauge problem may not be unrelated... There may be a bad connection to your fuel pump, and the gauge issue may indicate the bad connection is on the negative (grounded) side (or has reached that side of the circuit, having started on the positive side). I don't know how heat would affect it unless it's an expansion/contraction issue with the ground connection. Just a thought... If there was a way you could monitor the fuel pressure perhaps that would help.

Back