• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer starting issue

beachfairy

Reaction score
City, State
dickerson md
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
Here is the scenario-try to start truck-nothing-no power read on the voltage gauge-jumpstart-runs fine-volt meter up so i think its charging. drive 20 miles-turn off truck-try to start again-nothing. Several hours later it starts so i think the alternator is bad-i check it by disconnecting battery-surprise-engine still running so thats not it right? what is it? is this a clue-when it appears dead and i turn on an interior light-it lights very briefly and then fades away? The only thing i have done recently is replace the starter and that was 100 miles of driving ago. Battery cables are tight. Ideas? Thanks
specs-91 stock explorer 4wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check all cables and connections for corrision. It's a common problem that the cables corrode from the inside out. Also, it's not wise to let a vehicle run with the battery disconnected. Way too many electronic/computer elements that can get hosed by doing so. Just my opinion.

thanks

thanks for the info-i only had it disconnected for 30 seconds...

Have you had the battery tested? It sounds to me like the battery is no longer accepting a charge.

hmmm i could get that tested. i figured since it recovered on its own when left for a few hours that it was good but since its free
i should check it out.

Check all cables and connections for corrision. It's a common problem that the cables corrode from the inside out.

If that battery is fine, this is most likely your problem. They sell battery cables in varying lengths at Advance Auto for easy replacement. Or you can buy the full harness from Ford.

yikes i read some post saying how annoying the trail of the positive cable was...

Back