91 Navajo CD Player Changeout Adapter Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Navajo CD Player Changeout Adapter Question

shamaal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Friensdwood, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
1991 Mazda Navajo: equivalent to the 91 Explorer with the premium sound installation.

Stock radio was replaced ten years ago with a Sony CD player. The Sony has output RCA connectors intended to go to the amplifiers (unused) and a connector that goes straight to speakers (used)

The install guys used Metra and Scosche adaptor parts. The adaptor configuration is from the Sony speaker connector, to the Scosche speaker level converter and then on to the stock amp.

If I understand this correctly, they are taking the speaker outputs and attenuating them to feed the stock amp. It seems to me to be simpler to run the connectors from the Sony RCA connector (preamp?) and run them out to the amp instead of knocking down the speaker signal.

I've looked up the Crutchfield adapter and it does the same thing. I'm off to the story tomorrow to buy a new CD player and before I install, the question is:

Is there any advantage to attenuating the HU speaker output to drive the stock amp or is it just a byproduct of 'one size fits all" from the adaptor manufacturers?

Thanks!

Well after paying an extra twenty bucks for a Sony player with sub amp outputs, I get it home to discover the sub amps are for the rear only! :splat:

What fly-by-night company makes sub amps for the rear only? :confused: Next time I open the box and lay out the instructions in the store and figure it out before I get home.

It's installed and I'm in the previous hook-up of speaker output to attenuator to stock amplifier. It goes against the grain to amplify, attenuate and reamplify. :crazy:

After I change the speakers, I'll consider jumping the amp, removing the attenuator and go directly from the player to the speakers. I don't want high fidelity, just something to drown out the road noise.

Thanks for listening

Back