91 Navajo transfer case questions please read | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Navajo transfer case questions please read

kgb424

Reaction score
City, State
Minden Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazada Navajo LX
I got a 91 Navajo with the electronic shift for the 4high and 4low,My question is there away to make the mods that GIjoe made to the second genration explorer to my Navajo,the problem is the dome light,power mirrors,electronic shift module,have a short or a burnt or pinched wires,it will shift some times into 4high but not into 4low, it has a new shifter motor,the fluid in the transfer case is fresh and at the right level,and if you jack the navajo in the air, the hubs lock and the front wheels will spin,as if in four wheel drive,Is there a way to shift the transfers case manually or by making some kinda switch system with one for 4high and one for 4low and off for 2 wheel driving I know jeeps you can take the vaccum line off and install a cable,is there away to make my transfer case shift, I don't want to install a manual transfer case, I'm going to install the locking hub kit and the conversion kit for the hubs,I have access to a full machine shop, so if I could figure out how to make a manual shifter or electronic shifter of some sort that you could use on the fly from with in the navajo,any suggestions,information,help would great thanks for your time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Welcome here...I used to live in Smith and worked in Minden...:D

...What mod are you refering to??? The brown wire mod??? if so, the answer is no...

...I do not believe you problems are all related...Also, do you have auto or manual hubs???

I think from his post he has the Auto hubs on there now. Since he mentions about converting to manual hubs.

as far as converting the electric t case to manual i think a couple users have made a shifter by removing the shift motor and attaching a tube and/or 1/4 drive socket on the stub and then running it into the cab with a knob on the end to turn it. don't know if there is any write up about it on here tho

Good luck

...lol, I swear i'm getting dislexic..:confused:

they are auto hubs, but going to convert to manual hubs,There is electrical problems because some times it shifts into 4 high but not 4 low,the people I bought the navajo from had a rebuilt automatic tranny put in it,they went thru two shifter motors,now on the second one, they took it to the mazda dealer and a ford dealer they both said it was the fact the power mirrors,dome light,electronic shift, are tied together and it shorted or melted they could not explain why it will shift into high only once in a while and not into low at all, so now that I read some posts here I'm going to jack it up and pull off the shifter motor and turn it into 4 low,4 high,2 wheel drive manually and see if it the problem and maybe check the control module in the back,but I think module works cause if it didn't it would shift at all right, there is short cause its hit and miss and I done screwing with it I just want to lock and load and go

Back