91 Ranger 4.0l Manual Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Ranger 4.0l Manual Transmission

310rm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger XLT 4.0L
Hi,

I had to replace the slave cylinder on my Ranger. Had to drop the tranny to get to it. In order to drop the tranny, I separated the transfer case from the transmission and when I was got them separated, I noticed a very thin, now mangled washer lying on the driveway. Ford dealership wasn't able to tell me what it was. Their best guess was thrust washer. I don't think it's a thrust washer. It's very thin and completely flat. the thrust washers I've seen in researching this have all been fairly thick and have staggered curved lips on them. I can see a ring around the one bearing retainer nut that may be an indication of where I washer might have been. Does anyone know what this washer is and do I really need it in order to put the transmission and transfer case back together?

Any help is appreciated.

k0sjkn.jpg

dqr9c8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

I had to replace the slave cylinder on my Ranger. Had to drop the tranny to get to it. In order to drop the tranny, I separated the transfer case from the transmission and when I was got them separated, I noticed a very thin, now mangled washer lying on the driveway. Ford dealership wasn't able to tell me what it was. Their best guess was thrust washer. I don't think it's a thrust washer. It's very thin and completely flat. the thrust washers I've seen in researching this have all been fairly thick and have staggered curved lips on them. I can see a ring around the one bearing retainer nut that may be an indication of where I washer might have been. Does anyone know what this washer is and do I really need it in order to put the transmission and transfer case back together?

Any help is appreciated.

k0sjkn.jpg

dqr9c8.jpg

Looks to me like the washer from the shifter bushing. You most likely removed the stick shift before dropping the trans, maybe that washer fell on the ground without you noticing.

Looks to me like the washer from the shifter bushing. You most likely removed the stick shift before dropping the trans, maybe that washer fell on the ground without you noticing.

Hi Bill,

I did remove the stick shift before dropping the trans. Is that bushing a necessity, or can I get along with out it? I've had a heck of a time trying to identify it but was thinking it came from the trans, so maybe that's why. I don't like doing things half-***ed but if I can't find a replacement am I doomed without it?

Thanks

It's readily available. This is an Amazon pic, but your part stores should have one. That spring is in lower right.
I'm not guaranteeing that's the part you found, but it sure looks like it from here. Take it to the store and hold it up to the kit spring to be sure.

IMG_0760.PNG

That looks exactly like it. Thanks so much! I appreciate your time and help, Bill.

Have a good one

Hey i have a quick question for you. How did you get to the top trans to motor bolt on driverside ? Its my last bolt inorder to drop the tranny on my 1991 explorer sport 2wd 5spd manuel and im about to pull the wheel off and the inner wheelwell dust and debris insert off so i can try and get at it from there? Anything you might know would be helpful thank you

in my bronco II I get the top two bolts from the top much easier.
roscoe

Back