91 Ranger cruise control problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Ranger cruise control problem

grice

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Ranger
I have a 91 Ranger and the steering wheel indicates I have cruise control but I can not find a fuse for cruise and there is not a light illuminated on the dash when the "on" button is pushed. Is there even a light for cruise on a 91? The manual does not show a cruise light in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a light for cruise control on for a Ford Explorer 91?

1st gens do not have a cruise light.

Cruise Control

Mine may not be the same, because mine is a 93 EB Ex. According to Alldata on mine the power is from a 10A fuse (#6) in the interior fuse panel.
You could check under the hood to see if you have the servo and cables that run to the throttle for the cruise. There are buku switches that have to be in the right place to make the cruise work, e.g. brake pressure switch, parking brake switch, clutch switch........
This info may, or may not help, just thought I'd toss it up for thought. Good Luck.

Were you able to solve your cruise control issues? I have a 1994 Explorer but I think the cruise control systems are very similar. I'll tell you what I found on my system. The symptoms I was having were many. I would set the cruise and be driving for a while and would set the AC fan speed and the cruise would cancel. I would engage the cruise again and turn on the lights and the cruise would cancel. I would engage the cruise be driving for a while and close the window (electric windows) and the cruise would cancel. Weird! I stopped using it for a period of time then I could not get it to work very often. I discovered two issues - one was in behind the steering wheel and the other was in the cruise control module.

The one behind the steering wheel was the result of the grease used in the circular contact tracks to to lubricate the contact surfaces to dry up forming a hard wax that forced the spring loaded contact pins to break contact with the metal contact tracks on the back of the steering wheel. To get to the tracks the steering wheel has to be removed and the tracks cleaned with cotton swabs dipped in mineral spirits and scrubbed until all the grease-turned-wax is removed. You may re-lubricate, sparingly, using a good electrical grease. That should resolve the issue. If not and you are good with a soldering iron then...

The cruise control module on my Explorer is accessible from the open glove compartment as it is located behind the dash right above it. I don't recall if is held in with one or two screws, but with a mirror you should be able to see it, that is if it is the same place on the Ranger. Inside the cruise control module there is an electronic component called a zener diode. It's purpose is to regulate, or steady, the voltage the module runs on. In order for it to do its job a small current runs through it causing it to heat up and that heat causes the solder connections to fail. Re-soldering it is another possible resolution to your issue.

Doing both of the above solved all of my cruise control issues. I hope this helps...

Mine flat out does not work, 1994 Eddie Bauer. Looked at the various Fuse Box Daigrams, none look quite like what I have, so I simply ulled and checked all the fuses. Probably a good idea anyhow on a new vehicle to me.

Hmmm, I'll be waiting to see what you come up with there Rev. My 94 Ranger cruise conked out as well. Strange thing too. When I start the engine the cruise cable to the throttle snaps in and takes to to wide open throttle. Talk about a surprise! I had to disconnect it from the throttle. Thanks for letting me cut in to your thread.

Back