'91 Side mirror Relay or switch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 Side mirror Relay or switch?

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
The electric mirrrors semi work on BOTH sides of the car. both drivers side and passenger side mirror will move up and out when I use the buttons but both will not work when I try to move them dow or inward.

Is there a common relay that works both sides that would cause this or maybe a common connection at the swith on the door panel?

Strange coincedence that both sides fail at the same time.

Any thoughts?

I've got the same problem on mine, I took the position switch apart and the pcb inside the switch is fried. I suspect the rain got into it. I'm too lazy to replace the switch as I'm the only driver and the mirrors are set.

The switch is similar in appearance, if not the same, as my 1989 Mustang GT Convertible's power mirror switch. I was looking at that when I first drove my 1993 Explorer XLT. I took the mirror switch apart that is in my Mustang and found that the small copper-looking spring-type contacts had gotten extremely dirty and were a little compressed so I cleaned all of them, bent them out a little, and carefully put the switch back together (it took a couple of tries), and... ...it has been working fine for over a year now. I believe Ford puts a grease on the contacts from the factory to keep them from corroding. I didn't put anything back on my repaired switch though, oh well, it works for now anyway.

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure whether there was some relay buried under the dash or I should start at the switch. Sounds like I'll look at the switch. If it not melted up, I'm sure I can Doctor it up to work. We 'never' adjust these mirrors either. Normally my wife and I have the same settings with the mirrors. I think the last time I washed the car I moved it a bit. That's how I discovered it wasn't working.

Back