91 stock wheel size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 stock wheel size

Ive done a search in this forum for the stock wheel size on my 91 to no luck. I know theyre 15" rims but thats it. I need to know this so i can figure out what the max size tire i can get away with, without having to upgrade my wheel size.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nm, i found it. 15x7. Ok so now, can i fit 31's on this rim? Or, will i have to upgrade wheel size to get the bigger tires im wanting, say 32's or 33's? This of course wont happen until i do my lift.

Thats what i was looking for, thank you willard.

im currently running 33x12.5x15's on stock wheels.

Really? They dont bulge or anything?

Since the coil spacers only add around 2" lift, would it be beneficial to add a leaf to the shackles?

There's no way 33's will fit a stock 15x7 wheel, i read thru 12 pages of this thread at the beginning and everyone says no bigger than 31x10.5's on stock 15x7's. Im gonna have to agree.
Im doing the coil spacer/shackle,aal suspension lift to mine, maybe get 32's, maybe.

Will the 31's stick out of the fenderwell at all? I want an agressive look without a huge lift.

33x12.50 CAN fit On 15x7 rims but it is not recommended. To get the tires to wear correctly you would have to lower the pressure too much so you end up wearing the center. Off-road the smaller rim may actually help keep the bead seated.

I am only talking about the rims and not if it will fit with a specifiic lift.

~Mark

i have no issues running the 12.5 inch wide tires on the stock 7" wide wheels... i have a slight bit of rubbing at full lock turning but other than that i just keep the psi a bit lower than normal for a fuller contact and yes even running a very low psi i have yet to pop a bead... "now is when it will happen tho i had to open my mouth LOL"

untitled-2.jpg

thats how it sits right now with the 33x12.5x15's on stock wheels

How much lift do u have on it?

How much lift do u have on it?

i have approx 6 in the rear due to doing a SOA and the front measures out to approx. 5.5 inches i could clear 35x12.5's right now also but at full stuff would have some run abd would have to trim a hair off the front fendors..

Dang! Im not going near that high. Im doing the cheap way with front coil spacers and rear shackles. Probably no bigger than 32x10.5's for me.

Depending on how sagged your suspension already is you may not fit or barely fit the 32's.

Our 1992 with a duff 2.5" lift barely fit 32's. It is very turck dependant and the rim size can help too (we run 15x8's).

~Mark

Depending on how sagged your suspension already is you may not fit or barely fit the 32's.

~Mark

that is why i said approx lift sizes...i know my leafs sag as well as my coils... all my lift consist of is (and dont down talk it please it was my choice and have had great success with it) doing an SOA in the rear and 2" coil spacers and a 3" s"sloped" body lift... bought a used BL kit from a member here and and bought the new spring perches from barnes4wheeldrive.com (if i recall correctly thats the sight name) spent maybe 120 dollars on lifting it after it was all done (still need extended front brake lines so i can remove the front sway bar but they still have some slack to them atm)

I personally see nothing wrong with sloped body lifts. I've been debating that for years..

But I like to keep as little lift as possible to clear the tires. I'm not going to any bigger on tires until I get the 5.13's so I'm fine with my current lift on the 33's

~Mark

I'm very happy with my sloped body lift. alot of people disagree tho whenever i say that due to extra stress on body mount bolts and such. either way i am very happy with it and it functions great. the reason i did lioft this way is its cheap and i will have enough lift to clear 35's when i get money for gears and new coils and leafs to fix the sag i do have. 3.73's seem to suck enough with 33's let alone 35's i couldnt imagine lol

When u say sloped lift do u mean higher in the back? I was actually considering an add a leaf and shackles in the rear then the coil spacers in front. Would that look like crap? I know my suspension sags, its 20 years old.

no it means starting at the front has a full 3 inches and it slopes down towards the back in incriments (determined by the whole elnght of the vehicle and the distance between body mounts to get the exact percentage of a full 3" and the back most body mounts have no body blocks. i did this to cheaply lift the front without the use of drop brackets using the full 3 inches of body lift plus the 2 inch coil spacers to level it out with the spring over axle in the rear!

simple diagram coming up i stole form the guy i got the idea from...

untitled-3.jpg

thread is here...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=127121

this thread is with a second gen and already had lift i believe... but the @ inch coil spacers and 3" sloped body lift plus the SOA in the rear is a nice lift imo and keeps the budget low for it!

Ahh ok. Not my style but thats ok. What would i need to add in front along with coil spacers to even out a shackle/aal lift in rear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it all depends on the lift you get from aal and shackles...i dont know for sure but only using coil spacers i think you could get by with just shackles and have it be level. i'll let someone else chime in tho with experience with shackles and aal's

Back