• Register Today It's free!

91 to 94engine swap question

gsrsilv

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer sport
I have a 94 sport with a blown engine and recently got ahold of a 91 same 6cyl engine. Will this swap directly in? If i put the ecu from the 91 into the 94 with the engine will it go directly in? Hopefully somebody can help. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can use the 1994 computer and wiring you already have.

But your gonna have to swap the 1994 wire harness onto the 1991 motor since there completely different.

but it will work otherwise

I believe the major diferance are EGR, Cam position sensor, and 2 vice 1 O2 sensors. The 91 only has 1 O2 sensor and none of the other junk. At least mine doesnt.

Yup my 91 is the same as above.

would i be able to use the wireing harness from the 91 and the ecm from the 91 swapped into the 94? has anybody tried this?

I would compare the pin outs between the two. I think I did it the other way with a 93 ecu. The CEL came on though.

'91 to '94 use the exact same long block. So it's a question of which is easier for you: strip the '94 wiring out and put the '91 wiring harness in, or strip the '91 engine down to the long block (there should be some that doesn't have to come off) and build it back up into a '94 engine.

Back