91 X by black91EB | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 X by black91EB

I have been a member for a few months on here, and just went elite yesterday, this site has saved me 20 bucks at least so I felt it was well worth it. I have a 1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4 that I have done some minor mods to thus far, and I also completed my first "major" modification yesterday in going to a 1354 Manual case. Found it at a U-Pull-It yard for under $100 including the shifter and boot. In addition I had to change the rear diff cover, something about the stock fiberglass cover not standing up well to a log I had to back over. :(
Anyway, I figured I would start a thread showing what I have done, and add as I make progress, and maybe help some people out in how I did something, and get ideas along the way.
DSCN0676.jpg

Here's what I have now.

DSCN0694.jpg

Manual case really looks good in my truck:D

DSCN0689.jpg

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but the shifter that was on the TC when I got it would not clear the transmission shifter. I don't know if they used a different shifter for the manual, since the TC came out of a 91 ex with an automatic. BTW, do NOT try to bend the shifter for clearance, it will break, thus the gorrilla welds. (you know, big strong and ugly)

DSCN0692.jpg

DSCN0691.jpg

There is the broken diff cover, I have a steel one off an f-series on there now. (good thing about being a parts packrat)
Anyway, thats all I have for now, the next thing will probably be some auxilary lighting front and back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually it does look pretty good. I am still in awe though of that front bumper. I am just sitting here staring at it...:notworthy

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looks good. Love that bumper. They look good black for some reason.
Mine was looking pretty good as well. Gave it a good bath. Then it rained and went wheeling a couple times last week. Back to being filthy. The coat of wax I put on it should make cleaning easier though.

Actually it does look pretty good. I am still in awe though of that front bumper. I am just sitting here staring at it...:notworthy

Thanks, going to be building another for a 3500 dodge pretty soon, as well as the f-250 I'm going to be getting in the next few weeks.
I like the emoticon. Lol. Back to the old name huh?

Looks good. Love that bumper. They look good black for some reason.
Mine was looking pretty good as well. Gave it a good bath. Then it rained and went wheeling a couple times last week. Back to being filthy. The coat of wax I put on it should make cleaning easier though.

Thanks. You should see mine now, its all kinda nasty, something about moving trailers around in a muddy field after/during a rainstorm...

Thanks, going to be building another for a 3500 dodge pretty soon, as well as the f-250 I'm going to be getting in the next few weeks.
I like the emoticon. Lol. Back to the old name huh?

Yeah, *sigh* I guess I am the kinda guy that gets a name and it sticks like gorilla glue.:rolleyes:

Yeah, *sigh* I guess I am the kinda guy that gets a name and it sticks like gorilla glue.:rolleyes:

I missed the word "glue" and this is what came to mind
:monkey:

Lol!!

so, now that midterms are winding down, I have a bit more time and a 5 day break. I have a couple things in mind, one of which is a console. I've mentioned this before, but I plan on building a custom console for my ex that has a locking lid on it. In addition, I wish the stock one was bigger, and a little stronger. This should rectify both of those complaints.

I did start on one, but decided 22ga was too thin, not to mention a PITA to weld. So, went to Southern Steel Co. and got a 4x8 sheet of 14ga. This will make my console, finish my trailer toolbox, and various other projects.

In addition to that, I have to start on the '97 SOHC I picked up. I have to replace the front clip on it.

Busy break, LOL.

One last note, I have contacted Rick about getting a Vendor membership so that I can fabricate stuff and sell it on here. That should happen as soon as I can get some extra cash. So anyone that is interested in a bumper or switch panel, etc, PM me and I will put your name on a list of folks to notify when that happens.

Does all the pms I sent you count?? If it does then I should be #1 on the list. :D

Yeah, I think that you are #1 to notify.

YAY!! I would definitely pay for such a good bumper. I may even drive up there to get it!!

BTW, any luck on finding a TC shifter for me?

considering it is definitely not the weekend yet, no. Lol. One last class till fall break, and it's in an hour. I only know where one manual shifter is at this moment, and you can't have it, cause its on mine :)

That truck is a straight up beast, have you got any lift on it?

nope, stock height. Those coopers rub a little on the sway bar at full lock, but not enough to worry about.

Your explorer looks really good, You also do great fabrication work from the look of the bumper and center console. Even though I will be in Tenn next month I won't ask for one because as a full time College student I know how it is, I have Finals this week as a matter of fact.

But I do like your idea on that front bumper. I may borrow it and put my skills to the test. Must be a reason that steel fabrication plant laid me off :p:

Most likely catch myself on fire if I attempt to weld something. So I'll leave that up to the pros and stare at my stock bumper until it falls off :scratch:

I'll keep an eye out for updates even if it gets moved to the elite registry. ;)

Your explorer looks really good, You also do great fabrication work from the look of the bumper and center console. Even though I will be in Tenn next month I won't ask for one because as a full time College student I know how it is, I have Finals this week as a matter of fact.

But I do like your idea on that front bumper. I may borrow it and put my skills to the test. Must be a reason that steel fabrication plant laid me off :p:

Most likely catch myself on fire if I attempt to weld something. So I'll leave that up to the pros and stare at my stock bumper until it falls off :scratch:

I'll keep an eye out for updates even if it gets moved to the elite registry. ;)

Thanks for the compliments. I have caught myself on fire plenty of times, I know how it goes, just part of it, and as you learn, you catch yourself on fire less often. (Unless, of course, you relapse....) If you are interested in a bumper, I plan on building a few and selling them, so if you want, I'll put you on the list of folks to PM when the time comes for me to start selling. Speaking of updates once I get my SD card adapter back, I'll upload the pics from last night, seems like the explorer always rescues my brother's truck. I got it good and stuck for the first time last night, and it is very very muddy.

so, as promised, though a few days later. This is kinda impressive in a way.
Photo021.jpg

Photo025.jpg

So whats been going on with your Ex, man?

So whats been going on with your Ex, man?

not much. A short summary of it's recent life:
Driven to school.
Driven home from school.
Driven to school.
Driven home from school.
Dri..... you get the idea :(

I did, however fabricate a nice tool box for the front of my trailer, I'll post pics of that in the near future. :D

Thanks for the compliments. I have caught myself on fire plenty of times, I know how it goes, just part of it, and as you learn, you catch yourself on fire less often. (Unless, of course, you relapse....) If you are interested in a bumper, I plan on building a few and selling them, so if you want, I'll put you on the list of folks to PM when the time comes for me to start selling.

It may be a while before I get to the point of upgrading my bumpers. I just updated my list of to-do's in my registry yesterday. I don't want to see what it cost's me to do all of that. Maybe around June of next year depending on economic changes in my area. :rolleyes:

CSX is fighting local government persons to pull their tracks running through town which will hurt the county.

I've never caught myself on fire but I know nothing about welding either, I worked in the paint room at a local steel fabrication plant and that was about the extent of my knowledge. I did do some layout work and maintenance on their vehicles, forklifts, and crane. I do however have the worst of luck with wheel grinders, hit myself in the knee more then a few times with a 7 1/2 inch hard disk and got hung up a few times with a 7 inch wire wheel with a max rated speed of 4,800 rpm and I was using a 9,000 rpm Dewalt D28065 grinder, talk about a powerful grinder. :(

Your ex looks pretty muddy but did I notice a sagging drivers door? maybe it was not closed all of the way or something. Mine is sagging and needs new pins is why I'm asking ;)

Back