'91 X with Code 22 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

'91 X with Code 22

rguy

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 4x4
I just completed a manual to auto trans swap including a new/used ECM for a '91 with an Auto Trans. Now I'm getting this code, along with a couple others. Prior to the swap, I wasn't getting any codes. Code 22 is: MAP (vacuum) or BARO signal out of range - MAP. What is this telling me and how can I fix it? Where is the MAP sensor?

Thanks.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

rguy

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 4x4

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
On a '91, it's a BARO sensor, meaning that it isn't hooked up to the manifold. It's simply a pressure transducer that tells the computer what ambient air pressure is.

Check the wiring between the PCM and the BARO sensor. The BARO sensor's output is a frequency, so you'll need a DMM with a frequency counter to check the BARO output.