91 XLT door chime | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 XLT door chime

bigredone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1991 Explorer XLT with a warning/door chime that WILL NOT stop. Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best I could say as a temp fix is remove the fuse as long as it doesn't affect other more essential parts of the SUV. Or simply cut the wire running to it. That'd be what id do but then again thats me.

You most likely have a bad door switch. If the interior lights don't come on, then you can simply unplug the chime. Its under the ash trey. Its a little black square about 3"x3". No harm done unless you're draining your battery.

I removed the chime in my 94 years ago. Best thing I ever did to the Explorer. Like 2stroke says little black relay looking box next to the ash tray. Just unplug and throw in the glove box if you ever want it back just replug.

Update - call me retarded, but I spent a good amount of time today looking for said box that I couldn't find for the life of me. Took my ash trey apart and all. Also, as odd as it sounds the chime turns off when my door is open haha. Still looking for help on this

I've seen the lock cylinder do this twice. The black wire that grounds when you put the key in will make the door chime if you have the door open. Grounding it straight will make the chime turn on. Fiddle your key in the cylinder and see if you can get it to go off.

Back