91 xlt hard starter

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
91 explorer xlt. Automatic trans 4wd. Just a little hard to start in the cold. Have to feather/floor the throttle to start, and wont go at all if I get it to far under 0 fahrenheit.

It is 3 fahrenheit out right now, I pulled the IACV to clean it, but it didnt look too bad. All the vacuum was good last time I had it running. Fuel pump is 5 months old and filter was changed at the same time. Just finished cleaning and reinstalling the IACV, still not starting.

I believe the truck has a block heater, because I see a wire hanging below that looks like the block heater side of a plug for a block heater. Trying to get it started so I can back it up away from the snow bank to have a look/plug it in and test the block heater. The previous owner wasnt aware of a block heater.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on a side note, are there any freeze plugs on the engine other than the ones on the side of the block? I counted 3 freeze plugs each side, but my truck has wiring for a block heater, and the end of the block heater cord just dangling. I would think it would be odd for a person to just install the wire, or to replace the block heater with a freeze plug in this climate. anyways, thanks for the help.

Hi:

Will need more information before being really helpful so as a start.

When x is running is check engine light on? When you turn key on do you hear fuel pump cycle up? Should be on for several seconds. I am assuming that when the weather get cooler the starter spins fine but the engine does not fire. Have you tried pulling codes? There is several write ups on doing this and in the stickies above there is a paper clip method. It is possible that the MAF needs cleaning but this should set a code. At what temperature do you need to start feathering the throttle? That is does it start fine when the temp is 10 or 15 or never?

Trust that helps
PaMnd

hey thanks for the help, I am getting a cel yes, though I havent checked it yet, I believe I have 30 psi at the rail, my lens fogged up when I took it outside but it looked to be in that range so I didnt bother with it, yes the fuel pump comes on when I start the vehicle. However I warmed up the engine quite a bit with some heaters, and managed to get it to start. Idle was still bad when cold, after cleaning iacv, so I loosened the bolts just a hair to allow air to leak past the IACV, idle went right up. I tested the iacv, the solenoid is not operating, so that seems to be my problem. I should be able to get it started tomorrow when I need it, and I guess I will be getting myself an new IACV tomorrow if I can find anyone who stocks it.

I will also be picking up a new block heater since I have determined that there is in fact no block heater on my truck. Someone must have removed an old block heater and been to cheap to put a new one in when it was leaking. They must have been putting it off till the weather got colder:rolleyes: Anyways, high tomorrow of 8 fahrenheit,and I have been outside working in -7 fahrenheit, so I guess tomorrow will be a nice day to work on it....

Still a heck of a deal for $750.

Regardless of the temp outside, just remember the grounds expecially on a starter. cleanning the around the mounting surface of the starter will ensure fast cranking and also keep a thing of "Heet" in the gas tank at every fill up.

Regardless of the temp outside, just remember the grounds expecially on a starter. cleanning the around the mounting surface of the starter will ensure fast cranking and also keep a thing of "Heet" in the gas tank at every fill up.

Wiring and grounds are all good. When it is warm enough, I will add additional ground straps to the vehicle.

The last fill was with 10% ethanol, so heet is not necessary, there is already enough alcohol to keep the moisture out.

Back