91 XLT with coil sprung 9" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 XLT with coil sprung 9"

YESSSSSS
Well she is driving now. I spent 3 days at a friends house and we had a blast.
My junk
its a currie built 9" with YJ outers. Stupid lift 5.5 coils. Rancho 5000 shocks with 15 inches travel. There are 5.13 gears riding on an ARB air locker. Warn manuals (of course) and maintained the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Long radius arms (will be heim jointed soon) and all custom steering.

We literaly finished this project just a few hours ago. There is a few small things left to do but I drove it the 2 hours home tonight and It drove FAR better than it did with the TTB, and ZERO bump steer, I mean NONE. You will see why when you see the pics.
I must thank my friend for all his help and his and his wife's hospitality. The trip was great and he worked hard as hell the whole time. We probably each put 20 hours into the job, not too bad. There is no feeling better than looking at your old TTB sitting on the ground waiting to get drug away :)

I plan to get softer coils soon also as the stupid lift coils are known for being too stiff. one of many things that will happen soon. I still havent re geared the rear to match yet so no 4x yet nor any inaguration pics. However lets get to some pics of the job.

Attachments

• notires.jpg
    notires.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,860
  • tracbar1.jpg
    tracbar1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,820
  • oldandnew2.jpg
    oldandnew2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,961

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it have some camber problems in the front? You have a different setup. Different is good. I hope you got a good deal on those axles used! New is some serious $$$$ :eek: . You forgot the other benefit to the Dana 30, 5 on 4.5...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

My axles are 5 on 4.5 :D
No camber problems at all. Infact alignment is verry close. I havent tossed it on a rack yet but everything is close enough I am not worried about it. Yes I got an excelent used deal on the axles. No way I could have afforded them new. They are super bad ass and if I had the money and couldnt get these used I would buy them new. They are just built right. I am verry pleased.

Picked up the rear axle today!! I need to do a few things to make it work for me but shouldnt be overly tough.
Will I be the first on here with twin 9 inches? I know one guy on here is doing it but i dont think he has the front yet

TheRookie said:
Picked up the rear axle today!! I need to do a few things to make it work for me but shouldnt be overly tough.
Will I be the first on here with twin 9 inches? I know one guy on here is doing it but i dont think he has the front yet

too much $$$$$$$$

Nice!!!!

Solid axles are not known for thier bump steer :)

Are you keeping the 5 on 4.5 in the back too?
Those are 9" axles, you're not going to break then and need to swap center sections anytime soon :) hahaha

You might consider a master cylinder upgrade to keep up with the 4 much larger calipers, think F-150.

Thanks! Yeah I dont plan on breaking much but anything can be broken. Yeah the rear is also 5 on 4.5. The master cyl from an f150 is an excelent idea. I was thinking about something bigger but never really concentrated on it much. I will look into it. Thanks for the idea.

TheRookie said:
Yes I got an excelent used deal on the axles. No way I could have afforded them new.
Okay, where in the HELL do you find USED Currie built 9" axles, with a 5x4.5 pattern no less!?! :eek: :confused: :eek:
You scored big, no matter the price! :thumbsup:

wondering what your going to do with you front axle now that its a paper weight

Okay, where in the HELL do you find USED Currie built 9" axles, with a 5x4.5 pattern no less!?!
Get ready to be mad.
A friend of mine that I know from a search and rescue group that I belong to had a mazda b2300. Thing was awesome. Well it was his daily driver and needed a fair amount of work for inspection. He also really wasnt into the offroading thing anymore. Truck was BEAT and a 4 banger. Well He decided to part it out. I got some killer deals on what he had. He still has an atlas that he wants 1500 for. I just cant scrape that together right now, otherwise I would have it also. Basiclay he gave me the front axle housing for helping him strip the truck. Then I got that third member by getting a friend of mine ot buy it for me in exchange for me putting a trans in his X. Then he sold me the rear outright but for an excelent price. Both have ARB's and 5.13's Will get pics of the rear asap.

wondering what your going to do with you front axle now that its a paper weight
If you mean my stock front axle it is collecting dust at a friends right now. Someone was claiming to buy it but never did. If you want it PM me and we can work something out.

Back