911! transmission bit the dust? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

911! transmission bit the dust?

adamwarner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT SOHC Auto AWD V6
The only warning i had was a slow shift into reverse... today, cruizing down a road, i felt something wierd in the pedal, and watched a huge cloud of smoke trail behind me.

After a few seconds it went away, and since i was driving on a dirt road, i thought nothing of it.

Less then a minute later i was almost positive my transmission was done. I just barely rolled into my friends driveway about a half mile away, and i have no drive, no reverse, no nothing. I had to use 4LO just to get it into the driveway, and within a few seconds that was shot aswell.

It seems obvious to me that its the transmission, but i wasn't aware they could go that fast.

Is there anything else that could be broken to cause this? (t-case?) I just need to be sure its the transmission

Also, does a 2000 XLT have the same tranny as a 2002 XLS? I can get any info needed, im not very knowledgable on the mechanical side of a car, but i know the basics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, now im really confused, i just went out, started the explorer and shifted into reverse. It rolled back just on the idle, shifted into drive and it did the same. When 15 minutes ago i was in third gear reved way up just to get into the driveway.

I want to drive it home but im afraid of it breaking down again.

I moved back and forth a few times, shut off the car and tried it again. Worked like nothing was ever wrong...

Do a search for ATF boiling on this site.

Did the reasearch on ATF boiling, grabbed some tranny fluid and drove out to where i left the explorer. Checked the fluid level and it was higher then it was supposed to be, so i didn't add any. It only idled for about 5 minutes while i checked the fluid, so it shouldnt have been hot enough to start boiling again, tried shifting into drive and it crept alot worse then before, so does this mean thats not my problem and that my tranny is slipping and crapped out on me?

The rear wheels will not spin at all in drive or reverse, but in 4LO with the BWM it will still move, but theres obvious slipping.

Im taking it off the road and attempting to sell it as a whole, or part enough of it out to make an equal amount of money from it. If anyones interested, PM me. It only has 60K on the engine, everything else is in good working order. I live in upstate NY.

I also have a friend with a 2002 XLS, i believe the transmissions are swapable. It was in a rear end collision, damage was more then the value of the car so it was totalled, but theres really not much wrong with it. If someone were to purchase both, and swap the trannys, you could get a reliable DD, and be part the other one out and make your money back!

Very sad to see it go, but i knew i needed to start looking for a compact car with the gas prices rising the way they are anyway.

Back