• Register Today It's free!

92 2.9L Won't start

cm_osu

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ranger
I have a 92 2.9L that is really rough. When I first got it, it would start and run but it knocked and the battery was always dying. So I replaced the alternator and charged the battery but soon ran that battery dead again before I could get it started to let the new alternator work. So we jumped it and it started and ran til we disconnected the jumper cables. Then I went and bought a new battery, distributor cap, rotor and plugs. Now it still won't start. So, we pulled it down the road and tried starting it that way (I know we're rednecks). As long as the other truck was still pulling me and it was in gear, my truck would run but as soon as I pushed in the clutch it would die again. I'm a decent mechanic but this truck has just enough electronics on it that I'm not sure what to try next. I am getting good spark and fuel. Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...i would replace both the pos and neg cables...they get corroded about 6" into the sheathing...this is pretty common...good luck...;)

I'm willing to try almost anything. I'm just skeptical about that because the engine does crank under the batteries power when it is charged. I may have been a little misleading. I'm not as worried about the batteries charge right now as I am about the truck not starting and running. Bad cables wouldn't let the engine crank, even when jumping it. I know beggars can't be choosers when it comes to advice and I do appreciate the reply.

...you are draining a charged battery??? odds are you have a bad ground cable but i still suggest replacing both...the worst thing for electronic's is a bad ground...it's 37 bucks for a set...;)

Good point. I will try it first thing in the morning. My grandpa used to own a shop so I have lots of cable stock in the garage, so it will be free. If not I would be a little more hesitant since I've already blown about $200 on shots in the dark. I will be back tomorrow if it doesn't work though.

..i would still go with a new/real set above making a set, just my opinion...a lot of times these problems happen when people take and just add connectors to the ends...

Back