• Register Today It's free!

92 4.0 4x4 not charging

JBro06

Reaction score
City, State
watertown, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 sport
So im having a charging issue on my 92 ex and its got me completely stumped... The battery refuses to charge once the vehicle is started... if i start it and hook the voltmeter up to the battery i can just watch the voltage drop... anyway, i replaced the alternator with a brand new one.. no fix... new battery.. no fix... ran continuity on the wiring harness, and its good... fuses are good... and yet still no charge... Help me please, cause there is a lot of snow on the ground and im tearing up my 07 impala driving in it... any suggestion would be extremely helpful...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the alternator light come on when the key is just turned on, not started. The regulator turns on from power sensed on the alt lamp line.

ALSO can yor get the new alt tested

When you say the fuses are good. Where were you looking? There is an under the hood fuse that is for the field on the alternator. When that fuse blows it doesn't charge. Its a 15 or 20 amp fuse IIRC.. Its definately (sp?) one of the small ones in the underhood fuse box.

~Mark

Yea I checked the fuse under the hood in the PDB and its good... I also had the alternator bench tested and it is good... that's why I'm soo stumped cause it should be working and its not...

Back