• Register Today It's free!

92 4 door exhaust

trush1492

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisonburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I just bought my explorer from a guy in WV. He put dual exhaust on with no catalytic converters. My main question would be, is there a y pipe that came stock on these trucks? Would my best bet be to have two universal cats welded in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock setup was this:

Pipe from each manifold came down to a Y just above the passenger side radius arm bushing. 2 catalytic converters were bolted in-line to the Y and there was an intermediate pipe that bolted to the rear of the converter assembly. From there, it routes to the muffler then up and over the rear axle and out the passenger side forward of the rear bumper.

Looks like this:

exhaust.gif

If you're wanting to add a converter to each bank, any exhaust shop should be able to cut the existing pipe and weld in a small universal type. It would probably be cheaper than going back to the stock setup.

You think i could get away with buying them myself and clamping them in?

Yeah, you probably could. Make damn sure you measure the existing pipe diameter and get a couple converters. Try and find the smallest universals that you can find unless you feel like trying to mount some larger ones somehow.

Summit Racing has some Magnaflow cats that start around $65 each and are 13" - 16" in length.

Yeah, i gotta get two that will fit side by side. I may be able to move one a little further towards the back to get them to fit. Thanks man!

I would ask first do you have to get a smog inspection or some other inspection that having the modded pips will give you trouble? If not then run it as is and take some time to make up your mind what you want to do. what most do forget is no matter what is your not supposed to remove the stock cats or change the set up both by some state laws and I believe by federal law also only most states do not enforce it like here in Calif and some of the other western states.

I have to have them to get a Virginia inspection. The previous owner removed the cats and ran true dual exhaust

Yeah, i gotta get two that will fit side by side. I may be able to move one a little further towards the back to get them to fit. Thanks man!

:cool: Do you have emmissions inspections in VA.? If not leave the cats off!
When you install them be aware of their proximity to the raduius arm bushing, the cats get Rrrreal hot and the bushing suffers and will fatigue from the heat!

:cool: Do you have emmissions inspections in VA.? If not leave the cats off!
When you install them be aware of their proximity to the raduius arm bushing, the cats get Rrrreal hot and the bushing suffers and will fatigue from the heat!

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!

Depending on how thorough the inspection is, you might get some guff about not having a "stock" setup. If they just do a visual and make sure all the required parts are there, then you should be OK as long as you pass a sniffer test.

Out here in New Mexico, as long you you have a catalytic converter, you're fine. Only one county has smog inspections, safety inspections are non-existent and the rest of the state is pretty much free to do whatever we want. As a consequence, we have some vehicles driving around that look like they had a bomb dropped on them.

Depending on how thorough the inspection is, you might get some guff about not having a "stock" setup. If they just do a visual and make sure all the required parts are there, then you should be OK as long as you pass a sniffer test.

Out here in New Mexico, as long you you have a catalytic converter, you're fine. Only one county has smog inspections, safety inspections are non-existent and the rest of the state is pretty much free to do whatever we want. As a consequence, we have some vehicles driving around that look like they had a bomb dropped on them.

It failed inspection. They didnt give me any $h*t about not having a stock exhaust, but said i HAD to have cats.

It failed inspection. They didnt give me any $h*t about not having a stock exhaust, but said i HAD to have cats.

easiest but not the cheapest is to go back to stock y pipe and then a direct fit cat from most major makers (its a stock set up but there not bad as there good flowing ) then do a cat back system . All this may cost more but then it’s done right and you should not have to worry about it for a very long time inspections or not.

Talking smog inspections here in Calif its really crazy as some parts have a very tuff inspection that is were they test under load plus add in the e vap test and smoke test. then other places here get a visual and sniff test and then others still only have to deal with t when they reg a auto the first time and never again to me its all BS as long as your sniff test is good as after all that is what matters! The rest is just a money grab to me and this crazy system in Calif proves it.

Back