92-8.8 mods?need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92-8.8 mods?need help

fearfact

Reaction score
City, State
vista ca/hillsboro nh
hi guys, im new here, 97V8 sent me to you for help from pirate4x4. anyway i was flooding a thread there with questions for my 8.8 swap into my TJ)yes i know i dont belong in your forum but i do appreciate the knowledge you guys have and th ework you all do)
i got a 92 8.8 outta an explorer,31 spline,327 gears(supposedly havent confirmed) and drums but all the brakes are gone.anyway
-i want disks but i have yet to find a performance kit. i dopnt want to spend a fortune so i was looking on ebay for ideas- i can get mustang cobra calipers for like 30, cheap drilled and slotted rotors, but what else do i need or whats some other inexpensive sources for my swap.
-also i plan to eventually do the super 8.8 but they say its for 98+ models w/disc's-any reason i cant use it when i run my discs?
thanks alot guys my budget is small due to stellar marine corps pay a wife and son!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 8.8 housings are the same in explorers-Disks or not, I believe. I would put a set of late model disks and put them on. There is a few guys around here who have done it. I might do it if I find some cheap. The drums work fine. They are bigger than your TJ brakes and the lines bolt right up. You can even use the stock ebrake lines. Just hook them up to the lower drum arm where the ford line attaches. The jeep one goes right in its place. Why do you need the super kit? Money to burn? Are you running 40s on your TJ? I thrash my 8.8 with 37s and an explorer (which has to be heavier than a rear of a jeep) and it takes it no breakage. If not, then I don't think you'll need it. I have swapped a couple of 8.8s into jeeps. Easy swap. Cheap swap.

Or you could do like I did and only buy a TJ with a Dana 44. It took a while, but I found 2 with Dana 44s and full hard doors. My wife drives one, my sister drives the other. Looked at a butt load with Dana 44s that were not what I wanted. It seemed like they cost the same Dana 35 or Dana 44. People are too ignorant to realize what the have or what they are buying. Have you thought of trading up? Might be easier.

Ill have more info soon. I am putting an 8.8 in a ZJ soon. Got the 35 brackets plasma'ed and ready.

Did you buy that 8.8 from some guy in Oceanside? ;) Small world! :salute:

Did you buy that 8.8 from some guy in Oceanside? ;) Small world! :salute:

hey man! small world is right... since i can contact ya on here maybe we can get together to wheel sometime

and i wont get rid of my TJ till its a pile of scrap! i searched for one with a d44 for months but couldnt find one that i wanted for my price range.. i got a loaded sahara hardtop with every option i wanted,some i didnt and the 8.8 is alot tougher than a d44 anyway and i plan on 37s which i wouldnt run a d44 with anyway... like i said id liek to over build this axle so eventually id run the super 8.8 kit, but its a 31 spline axle already so ill have time- either way c-clip eliminator is in the plans.. anyway id really appreciate info on your budget build for that ZJ axle, thanks

Back