92 Aerostar. Air bag & brake system questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Aerostar. Air bag & brake system questions.

jlh3rd

Reaction score
City, State
new cumberland, pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 aerostar
i'm new here......i did a search and couldn't find m a direct answer..
getting the abs light..and i can't find the test wire ( orange/black i believe)..
have a code 12 for the airbag...battery is good, clock spring has been replaced..and i've checked the connection for the sensor relay in the front

and now, for the problem i've had the longest ( years)....a soft brake pedal that pretty much goes to the floor...i can stop the van but cannot lock up the wheels..i have replaced:...the master cylinder 3 times (brand new) , bled the master cylinders and system, replaced the abs actuator, rear drums, rotors, pads and shoes, system also bled at dealership, abs sensor in differential........
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, one caliper was replaced years ago because of a stuck bleeder screw....but front brakes are wearing evenly and no pulling.....

Did you replace the brake combination valve? This is the description in my Ford software:

Brake combination valve.

The brake combination valve consists of two sections: rear proportioning, and an interconnecting pressure differential shuttle. The rear proportioning valve reduces pressure at the rear brakes to avoid lockup. The pressure differential shuttle is a bypass feature that allows full application of rear brake pressure when front system pressure is significantly reduced.

1992_Aerostar_brake_combination_valve_.jpg

i meant to mention that in the first post.........no, i haven't....

yep..actually i've looked and it appears that it is a dealer item.....none of my auto parts places have it...and i use rock auto also...

I did a Google search, and found a couple of links under the part number 2B257. The first link is a step by step on how to rebuild it yourself. It appears to be pretty simple with only a few parts. The second link has a rebuilt unit, but I'm not sure if it's the same one as you presently have. Here's a third link. This link has has a rebuild kit. This link has additional step by step information.

well...i've replaced the combination valve with a new one from ford......i have now replaced every component on the brake system that can be suspected to cause this problem ( including the booster )....i guess i just still have air in there somewhere.. right ??

Every part in the system is new at this point. There is something else that you could do. I haven't tried this method, but you could do it since there aren't too many other options left. Dorman/Motormite sells an automatic bleeder screw. The regular bleeder screws could be replaced with these check valve bleeders. Bleed the entire system simultaneously by loosening the automatic bleeder, depressing the brake pedal, refilling the master cylinder's reservoir, then tightening the automatic bleeders. I saw this part in Autozone.

yep..i'll try that

now..code 12 for my airbag...clock spring was replaced....sensor connector checked...

According to the link in # 105 in my list of useful threads, it says: 12 = low battery voltage or loss of battery power to air bag firing circuit. The SRS module has an internal back up battery which might be bad or a sudden power surge could have caused a false code. Disconnect your main battery for about 10 minutes or longer, then see if this code comes back. Check for a burned out fuse first. WWW.VeryUseful.Com has some troubleshooting information with schematic diagrams.

thanks....but no help...fuse in fuse panel is good.....

The next step requires checking the voltage going to the SRS module. It might have a lost feed. If not, then it could be an internal problem with the module. Always check the external wiring first.

Question for Brooklyn
I'm getting trouble code 3-4 for my air bag (96 Aerostar), any clue what that one's for?

Thank you for the quick reply. Now to find some basic info for an O2 sensor.

More Info Plse

Malk67
What sort of info on your O2 Sensor? And what engine is your '96 equipped with?
Is it that what the 3L means in your info? You have a 3.0L?
FBp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, 3.0L.
Bank 1 seems to be running lean, I just can't remember if thats the driver or passenger side.

Back