• Register Today It's free!

'92 Auto Tranny Troubles

piepoli1

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 2WD
My 92 XLT 4dr-Auto went 140k on original trans, then had to be rebuilt. Now 42K later, after a few days of occasional flashes of my Ck Eng Lite after long decents, the overdrive would not engage. Unfortunately I was 110 miles from home and drove back that way. I noticed no engine drag on downhills (foot off thottle would drop revs to near idle), and inconsistant passing gear engagement. Next day after trans was warm, and on a flat road, the trans slipped so badly the car would barely get to 10 mph. Would only shift up to 2nd if I snapped foot off throttle, then slip again. Ck'd fluid level and it was full and clean. Nursed it to the same trans shop and he says I need another rebuild because "something in overdrive came apart". Cking out this site I see a lot of other potential causes. Trans works ok until warm (couple of miles), then all hell breaks loose. Now fluid is very dark. Any input would be apprciated from you guys.

dark? something blew, is it under warrenty with the people who orginally rebuilt it? if so call them and see if they'll pay for the very expensive tow, for there mistake. There is no reason that tranny should have gone as quick as it did after a rebuild

Back