'92 Clutch replacement / Flywheel Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'92 Clutch replacement / Flywheel Question

ParkerRocker

Reaction score
City, State
Hayden, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
I have replaced my clutch once before, and i have had a difficult time shifting ever since. When I did it i had to get the flywheel shaved 20/1000" and my guess is that is what was causing the problems. Also, the god-awful design of the master/slave system where it must be bench bled. I still have air in the lines i'm sure (though the ford technicians say not).

Anyway, I am going to replace all the components with new ones and hopefully forget about it. I need to know, in a 1992, 4.0L 5spd Manual Tranny, is the flywheel a 5 bolt pattern, or a 6 bolt pattern? I swear it was 5, but I can't remember...

anybody have a spare flywheel? :p j/k

What components did you replace with? Did you replace the slave cylinder when you did the clutch?

The slave cyls go bad in these, so it's worth doing just about every time you drop the tranny for a clutch job. I'd say to always use the Ford/Motocraft hydraulic parts, aftermarket stuff seems to last half as long, despite the warranty on the parts. So far, every time I've dropped the tranny, the clutch has had little to no wear, and the slave was what went bad and caused the problems. Still put new a new clutch in each time anyway hoping the slave would hold out.

A new slave cyl usually does the trick, there's not much else you can do other than replacing the master cyl and hydraulic line at the same time. Be sure you replace the parts with 91-92 stuff, too. 93-97 stuff will fit, but might have issues unless you replace EVERYTHING with 93-97 parts. I've got a 91-92 master now pushing aftermarket 93-97 stuff and its hard to push the clutch AND can get nasty when the slave won't disengage the clutch. I'll be removing the 91-92 master this spring/summer and selling it, to replace with the correct 93-97 version.

As for the flywheel, I think mine was 6 bolts.

I'd say spring for a new one if you need it. Keep in mind we have Ford dealers on the forum (Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com and FORDSVTPARTS) that offer OEM Ford parts at a big discount.

Back