'92 EB - JBL: - How to remove stock sub??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'92 EB - JBL: - How to remove stock sub???

patrickc

Reaction score
1992 EB, w/ JBL system and stock subwoofer.
Subwoofer quit - no noise coming from it. Figured 1st thing was to open the thing up and look around.

Pulled and tugged - then got scared and figured I better ask...

How do I open up the rear panel so I can examine the stock subwoofer? Can't see or feel any clips. Do I have to remove the whole plastic side panel?

Thanks!

------------------

DONT try to take out the little sub grate... you hvae to get the whole huge window surrounding panel off. i know, it sucks.

It actually isn't very difficult. Just lift the carpet to undo the bottom screws, pop out the clips and seat-belt bolt, lift the step trim from the rear door (passenger side), and undo the screws in the hatch. I swapped my sub out in less than 30minutes.

------------------
Danny
93SHO
91EB
www.hit.net/~danny/explorer.html

Go to this webpage: http://www.3drant.com/about/jay/Mountaineer/

This is absolutely one of the best pages, it shows most everything you'll want to know. It's a little picture intensive, so it's slow loading. If you just want to learn about your sub removal, the browser usually loads the text first. Look for this text, about 2/3rds down the page:

"Since so many people ask how to take off the rear cargo panel I've included pics of the steps you must take."

Then you can stop the browser and load each picture manually, so you'll just be loading all the picture you want, just not all the others.

Good luck!

Back