92 EB, trans has only 3rd,4th, locks up in neutral.HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 EB, trans has only 3rd,4th, locks up in neutral.HELP!

voodoofire1

Reaction score
City, State
Warren,Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB
92 EB, trans has only 3rd,4th, locks up in neutral.UPDATE!!

Hello there, my 92 explorer (automatic) was driving fine, but had a long 1st when cold ...until yesterday when I let my wife use it, now .. no reverse, 1st,2nd, has 3rd and od, but locks up in neutral, seems like first and reverse is hung together, any suggestions? can't even push it back in neutral, had to floorjack and tow it backwards, seems to start off now in 3rd gear.... please help me, this is my freedom..Thanks Steve
elkbow1009.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys ,I could really use some advise here, this is the first explorer I've ever worked on, and it's way more important than my freedom, we live in a flood zone and this is the only vehicle that will make it through the three feet of water that covers our road, I just need to know if I should be putting in a tranny or if this can be fixed simple like...... and to top this off ,I went to move it yesterday and the fuel pump went out.. when it rains it pours, please someone show me a direction out of this storm..........Steve

hay steve, I have the same problem with my 94 a4ld. one day i heard what sounded like a rock hitting the bottom stopped the truck didn't see anything wrong took back off everything was fine next day no rev.no 1 or 2nd locked in neutral. I've tryed everything, next thing is to pull the trans. I'll let you know what I find may take a while because i'm disabled. good luck with yours.The junkyards want between 300.00 and 400.00 hundred but then your buying someone elses problems I would love to rebuild my own it's more fun.

I'm betting on a misadjusted (bent) linkage.

Today I found a slightly rusty,same as mine, 92 explorer for 400 bucks, runs and drives pretty good, but it's a stick shift, can I swap this tranny and stuff over? might just swap the lift and tires over, who knows... suggestions??:confused:

You can, but it is not a "drop in" swap by any means.

Thanks Glacier, I should have it home by early afternoon, might be easier to just swap out my lift and tires, it does run a bit better than mine anyway, we live in a very rural area in a flood plain and the water gets about 3' deep on the road out front, but the real problem is that the rivers current runs across then back on and straight down our road for over a quarter mile when it floods, my toyota just doesn't have the weight, current just wants to push it off the road, and that is pretty scary, my ex handled it just fine, so guys this is more of a safety issue for us than it is for offroading or just "looking" cool, heck last flood I pulled 27 people and their cars/trucks from the floodwaters in 4 days... this explorer isn't much but it has made a difference in the 7 mos. since I bought it, and I couldn't even comprehend life without it, or one just like it.... it means that much!.....................Steve

Well went to pick up the other Explorer... didn't happen.. seems the guy blew off our noon meeting time without even a phone call, and when I called him he was on his way to Illinois..in the Explorer.. fake plates,no insurance, no drivers license.... man what a fool, glad I'm only out the 50 mi. trip,and the butt chewing from my wife for keeping her up when she has to work a 12hr. 3rd tonight........... he told me to call back at 5 or 6, should be home by then... yea right,what are the odds?lol,lol

Well Guys, After not hearing about the other explorer, I decided to check the yards around here.. only 1 has a tranny, 105,000 mi., $350, donor vehicle has a blown head gasket, nicely kept, no rust at all, but on my way out the door today to pay for this jewel, got a phone call from a neighbor,he heard what happened to my truck and it seems that he's a transmission rebuilding neighbor, seems this is what he has been doing for a living for the past 25 years,in his own shop, he was highly recommended by everyone I talked to, but someone like that usually has some sky high pricing, so I never called him.. but imagine my suprise when he calls and tells me that he will totally re-build my tranny for between 4 and 5 hundred bucks,and maybe even cheaper!.. for everything,top to bottom., and new converter included.. seems I pulled his wife from the floodwaters this spring, a good deed returned .. and just when I need it too... life is good!

If I can provide anything for him, let me know, loaner tools, welded planetary, etc. Happy to offer good things to someone giving good things. The world needs more good people. Thanks for all you have done.

ps. Your symptoms still are more suggestive of a linkage issue than a trans issue. The A4LD shifts using a manual valve to select first, neutral and reverse. If they are misplaced, it is a HIGH probability something isn't right in positioning the manual valve in the valve body.

Glacier, Thank you for you offer. Sent you an E-mail explaining things a little bit, hope you understand, but i cannot accept it, things will work out, they always do, but I sure do appreciate it,Thanks Steve
ps. is there a way to check out the manual valve myself? and how? it still feels like it drops into reverse(little bump) but doesn't go anywhere, neighbor thought the drums may have gotten locked together.

The beast is fixed!!!! exploded planetary....od plan was fixing to go too.... final cost was $772.64, $500+ in hard parts and switches... and it works perfect!!!

Well burned up my first tank of gas since the rebuild, and it works perfect, picked up about 3 mpg too!!

Back