92 eddie bauer 4x4 motor blown! Best options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 eddie bauer 4x4 motor blown! Best options?

I ve got the 4x4 listed below in another thread..

However I've got a better questions.....

1) Its a 4.0 v6 automatic.. what options do I have.

2) What do I have to buy?
a) Remember Cali Emissions does this mean
I have to get a factory Engine by ford and
a new computer and Trans or use same crappy trans?

Oh well U get the jist...

I need it to be steet legal in Cali however It apparently has to be ford stock to be legal and all.

What do I need ? Can I go with a V8?

what would an average price be.. I did look a bit through the forum looking for some swaps however didn't find anything quite like mine...

Engine almost blown and what they paid for standard engine setup and tranny out the door.. no frills like exhaust or differentials..

Anyway some insight would be most helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing is you need to talk to an offical "emission referee". I have found out that everybody seems to have their own opinion on what they "think" the emission laws are. Get the facts........

and remember you can't bolt up your v6 transmission to the V8 ......the bell housing pattern is different. If you want to use your existing transfer case and drivelines, you'll have to buy a $500 Advanced adapter. I think $4-8K for your emission legal swap is a good number to work with. (if in fact it's legal)

Good Luck!
Al

I think you should consider the SVO 4.6L V-6.
It can be bored out to 5.0L easily and output can vary from 250HP to over 600HP depending on the depth of your pockets. Also, torque from this baby is very high, depending on cam selection, it is a powerhouse waiting for its turn at the wheel.

Anyway, so much for the dream, does the Calif. law allow any stock Ford engine or does the engine have to come in the vehicle that you have?
Also, does the model make any difference, i.e. "X=V-6" vs "Mountaineer? = V-8"?

Just a thought, if the "X" is the same as the "Mountaineer" in the eye of the law then a V-8 is a happening thing. Junk Yard here I come!

:usa: :chug: :ca:

Good Luck,

Calif Law

I will have to check into California Law as my first duty..

Once I get this information I will give you guys the scoop on the Cali Law incase some of you are just information buffs.

Thanks again..

See when I get the basics solved...

(if I bored out a V-6 and got 250 HP for 4-8k I would be a happy camper...as long as it is still street legal!)

Good luck fitting the extremely wide 4.6L into an Explorer, it wont without hacking some serious metal......

The Calif BAR Says!

Now this isn't a word for Word Quote...

Ok.. If it is a Ford then any Ford Engine Same Year or newer is ok as long as it also has the computer and Tranny that is spec'd for that engine.

Now what I'm trying to figure out it what my plan is.

I would like to get more juice out of my Rig...

However with only really about 4-6k to spend and a Trashed engine and Tranny I am not sure as yet which way to go.

1: Goto Junk Yard and get a Nice Small 302 or just another 4.0L V6.

2: Rebuild the motor that I have and bore it out a bit to gain the extra horses and do some tranny work as well. If I pull the engine and tranny myself then the cost would be cut dramatically.

Why would I buy a new motor?.. I want to use my existing engine after a rebuild for another project of a different type. I want to build a sandrail with it.

That way instead of trying to sell my engine I could still use it after I save enough to get it worked on and then drop it in the Rail with a manual tranny out of some Ford Ranger or something. (If this sounds crazy to anyone let me know)

Anyone know reasonable Junk yard price for a 4.6L V6 or 302 Engine (Used Round Number) ?

Also How much would I expect to pay for the Computer Controller? This one I have Zero Idea on.

Now a tranny I would Imagine needs to match my electronic system that I have ... However how hard is it to put a non electric floor shift in an explorer or am I better off with the Electronic since it's already there?

I know manual is better however my main offroading is now at the Oceano Dunes not so much Colorado Continential Divide anymore like it used to be!...

I bought a XLT 2002 for my Nice Auto 4X4 Rig.. (Okay.. its really the Wifes!!).

Im not much help on junk yard prices, but I do know that the 4.6L offered in newer mustangs is a 289 v8. There is a 4.2L v6 availible though. You can order the 4.6L 289 which is smaller but capable of producing more horsepower than the 5.0 302, hence the reason mustangs changed motors in 1996.

Back