'92 Ex fuel pump relay location... sigh | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'92 Ex fuel pump relay location... sigh

pgrey

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hi all,

I've a '92 Explorer with I think either a bad fuel pump relay or a bad fuel pump. I can't, however, identify the FP relay. As I was driving by an auto parts store (in another car obviously) I picked up what they said was FP relay for my truck, but it doesn't match the only relay (just behind the engine compartment fuse box) I can find. The Haynes manual I have doesn't tell me where the damn thing is, and the owner's manual is useless.

The FP is either some place where I'm not looking or the relay provided to me by the store is not right (I know... always go with the part in hand...).

Cam someone point me in the right direction?

BTW, I'm getting 1.7 volts to the inertia switch when I turn the key on so I'm assuming that this might indicate a bad relay (the inertia switch is fine). If this voltage reading is what it's supposed to be, I'd be interested in knowing that too.

Thanks,

Peter

The relay is located UNDER the engine compartment fuse box. Think it is green but can't remember. Anyway, it is a good idea to replace the ECM relay at the same time if one is bad. The pump only comes on for a couple of seconds so you have to be careful about measuring the voltage. The computer outputs a small amount of current on this line to detect if there is continuity through the pump and inertia switch. You may be measuring that voltage. 1.7 volts doesn't seem normal for that, but might be the result of a fairly high resistance in the switch, connector, or pump.

FP Relay

The relay is under the fuse block. Before replacing I would first make sure that there is plenty of dielectric greese on the connector. This is the main problem with the Explorer and most Ford vehicles. Had a simmilar problem with my relay, greesed it up and no more problems.

to test, look up how to read the troube codes on your EEC-IV computer. there is a KOEO test that will energize all pumps and relays. this is when you should test for voltage on the fuel pump(test involves jumpering 2 wires on the EEC-IV test connector behind the fusebox and turning the car to ON, but NOT run - forget the wires u need to jump, but im sure its somewhere online)

Back