92 explorer 4.0 rough idle/stall when cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 explorer 4.0 rough idle/stall when cold

vinni

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula, montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' xlt
my 92 explorer runs fine when warm, but on startup...even if it has just sat for a few min it idles rough and stalls...it starts right back up, and does it again...then the rpm flutters between 6-900 until fully warm, even then i get a small rpm pulse.....the car is new to me...any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start with some basic diagnostics: test fuel pressure (see sticky in Under the Hood), check for gasoline in the vacuum line to the FPR, and pull codes (see stickies in EEC-IV forum). Check for vacuum leaks. Look for anything disconnected/unplugged under the hood.

cleaned tcm, and going to pick up tool to remove mas and will clean....this morning ran fine after sitting all night, no sputter or stall. check engine light comes on and off???no pattern at all to it. I'm new to the vehicle but it has been in the family since new, but last few yrs were not well maintained (damn sister had it). changing plugs (any good tricks for rt side on engine plugs?), wires, fuel filter all today. anything else i should look for?

changing plugs (any good tricks for rt side on engine plugs?)
For #3, and sometimes #2, I reach through the wheel well and get at the plugs from underneath.

hey there thanks for the info....seens to ide far better now with new plug wires and a good cleaning of the mas & tcm...plugs are next.....and another question, ....the fuel filter...is it on the frame rail? I'm getting an occasional dead spot for a second and am assuming it is the filter since it has never been changed, i'm thinking this is causing the occasional stall when at idle. so, wires, filters, plugs...any other tune up tips for these rigs?

sa foam in vac lines?

if i was to do this.....where do i put the sea foam and how much? in the tree at the rear of the engine? will it work/help with anything?

Back