92 explorer 5 speed help!!! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

92 explorer 5 speed help!!!

redlobster

Reaction score
City, State
wichita, kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 2 door explorer XL
was driving today on the highway when i hear a weird clunk then the speed just drops all the sudden, and i coast over to the side of the road and the explorer had died, i turned it over and it immediatly started up and idled just fine but when i put it into gear and tried to drive away it just revved and wouldnt move, then when i put it in neutral and left slowly off of the clutch pedal the rpms slowly went down like i was in gear then it just died, any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rugger

Reaction score
City, State
The Colony, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 2 Door
Muncie shifters on GM product used to do this from time to time. Usually when put in gear at stop and when shifted from third to forth.

The linkage would get in a bind when the spacers would wear. They would not shift out of a gear and when in neutral, they were in one forward gear and reverse at the same time. That is why they died when the clutch was engaged in neutral.

Check to see if the linkage has come loose on one of the shifter arms. The fix on the GMs was to put a 9/16 wrench on the nut that holds the linkage to the tranmission, there should be two, and click it back in place.

The only way to stop future issues is to shift to neutral, shake the stick, and then go on to the next gear.

Hope this helped.

redlobster

Reaction score
City, State
wichita, kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 2 door explorer XL
hey whats up again, i dont know to much about trannys' obivisouly but i dont even know what to look for when looking for the shifter linkage, my dad knows a lot about cars but couldnt seem to locate it, maybe he was looking in the wrong spot, any help would be appreciated
thanks
sean

Rugger

Reaction score
City, State
The Colony, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 2 Door
I just looked at my Haynes manual and realize that the shifter in these vehicles are not like the ones I was reffering to.

It still sounds like the same issue, but the linkage is internal.

Sorry.

redlobster

Reaction score
City, State
wichita, kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 2 door explorer XL
so either way to check the slave cylinder or linkage i would have to pull the tranny correct?