92 Explorer A4LD noise after rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer A4LD noise after rebuild

91Explored

Reaction score
City, State
Austin TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer w/A4LD
I did a rebuild of my A4LD following Glaciers writeup <Big Thanks> Also did the VB shift kit from Transgo. I have everything back together and re installed in Explorer. Initially had some overflow of transmission fluid. I had not started engine to move it in the transmission. After running up to operating temp and adding fluid to correct level I still seem to have a leak somewhere. I correctly re-adjusted Shift lever with transmission, originally I had connected it without adjusting it. Now I have a clicking noise when moving vehicle. Seems in the transmission. Any suggestions other than pulling the transmission again ?

Clicking Solved: I was able to duplicate the clicking with the rear on jacks , shift in neutral, while rotating the drive shaft. My suspicion was that the parking pawl was not being fully retracted. I pulled the tail off the 2WD A4LD and the parking pawl and spring fell out. I reinstalled them and then verified that the click was now gone.

Back