• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer Fuel Leak?

Cruise Missile

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Eddie Bauer
My 92 Eddie bauer 4dr explorer with 177,000 miles has just started leaking fuel. On level ground I can only smell the fumes. I had it on a slight incline with the rear higher and it was dropping about a drop every 15 seconds. the location of the leaks are coming from below. Its dripping on the skid plate on the drivers side/rear seat, in front of the rear wheels by the seam of the rear door. I have also noticed that when I start the car it seems to take a little more time to start. Not much but enough to realize it (a few more stutters). Any ideas? Could it be the Fuel pump, or filter in the tank? Any links to instructions on getting to this area?

does this happen when the tank is full? Or it does it do it no matter how full it is? If it only does it when its full, it could be the fuel filler neck hose. The plastic really degrades after a few years, ive already had to replace mine. It also as you suggested could be one of the lines leading, in or out of the fuel pump. I would suggest removing the skid plate and tracing the line from where it drip to the source.

Fuel Tank Leaking.

I'm not sure... Today I checked, its sitting level and there hasn't been any leaking since when I parked it last night. Just a few drops, but the cardboard is dry today. I only fill up once every 2weeks and its been smelling in the garage for about a month or so. The smell has been in the air for a month and is especially strong when I open the rear door. Only yesterday was when saw the dripping on the incline.

Back