• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer Liftgate Window Fit

TOM2RN

Reaction score
City, State
Bahama, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
1992 Explorer XLT. Lost the lift gate window the other day....neighbor's tree fell and took out his fence, my fence, and my window. Will a 96 or 97 model window fit? I tried looking up the part on the internet, get the part number, and cross-reference, but it's hard to find a site with the part numbers. Found a few of them at the junkyard today and they look the same (tinted and defroster strip). The distance between the hinges appeared the same. 45 bucks for one is pretty good. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure they wont align proper. One is flatter and the other has more of an arch to it...:scratch:

You could check with our forum vendor Kbabiak as he might even have one or at least verify for you..;)

Well, I hit the junkyard today and picked up a lift gate glass for about 44 bucks plus tax. It came from a 97 Explorer. It fits like a top. I was able to cross-reference a parts number from Fordparts.com. and it matches for quite a few years. The only difference I see are the contacts for the defroster. My glass has a large and small contact for each side--much like the negative and positive terminal of current auto stereo speakers. The 97 only has one large contact. I don't see any small female contact in the cable on my car. I figure it'll work since it's just one continuous circuit. If it doesn't, no problem. It's my junker.

Since you found the part numbers and cross referenced them, I'm sure it would help others searching like yourself if you shared the p/n's and a link to where you referenced them..:)

Good point. I went to Fordparts.com and found my vehicle. I located my part and copied the part number--42006 in my case. I kept scrolling through the different years to see if it changed and it didn't. I pulled my glass off a 97. Be wary of different tints. I also went to a junkyard locally that lets you pull your own parts. Popped it on last night and just in time. It started raining today. Again, pretty good for less than 50 bucks.

Back