92 Explorer Loud Tick Noise

ddeg10

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Limited Explorer
Hi all,

I'm new to this board and I'm sure a bunch of people have posted about this same thing but I could only find other topics that had unrelated noises. '

I have a 92' Explorer with 154,000 miles. At startup there's a loud ticking noise for about 10 minutes until the engine warms up. It almost sounds like a weak diesel engine.

I work at a car dealer and the mechanic said that it was probably lifter noise. I went to Schuck's and bought "Hyperlube" oil additive and the mechanic told me that this stuff should fix this "ticking" noise. I'm going to add it in when I get my next oil change.

I was just curious if this really is the lifters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
ddeg10

Welcome!

Does seem like the lifters. Usually the sound is benign. If it gets really bad or occurs all the time then it may be time for a rebuild. But the additive may help (I dunno). But a slight lifter tick is normal.

I think the injectors tick a little bit too. But anyways it could be the lifters, but also it could be the rocker arms/push rods area. it seems that area wears more rapidly than the rest of the engine. There is a thread from yesterday I believe about a person replacing there pushrods and rockerarms and it got rid of the tick

Back