92 Explorer Parking Brake Cable Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer Parking Brake Cable Help

nickrahn

Reaction score
City, State
Loganville, Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Hey Guys, so I was trying to figure out my parking brake cable adjustment. I recently replaced the rear brakes and parking brake cables. I hooked it up according to the diagrams I found online but it just don't seem right. The one that has the threaded screw goes on this bracket and the other one is connected to the cable that goes to the pedal. when I push the pedal it pulls the one cable but not the other. How are these suppose to be hooked up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have access to a Chiltons manual? I don't remember specifics, but when I had to replace my parking brake cable, I just used Chiltons and everything seemed to make sense.

I won't touch a chiltons or haynes with a 10 foot pole. I should get a factory service manual. I was just wondering if anyone could help me here before I spent the money. maybe some pics of where the cables all come together would help.

The cable adjustment is at the parking brake pedal, and built into the rear brake adjustments.

With the cables hooked up as usual, and the drum brakes correctly assembled, you just put the drum back on, drive the vehicle, and then go in reverse a few times, stepping on the brakes progressively harder each time until the rear brakes self adjust and bite normally.

You may need to use a new brake cable return spring, with fresh hardware and new cables, the old stock spring usually doesn't have enough tension to return the cable all the way, and you can get shoes that drag on the drum, getting the rear brakes VERY hot.

I guess tomorrow I will take a picture of what I need help with. I replaced the rear cables. I just want to know how they are all suppose to hook together. the one from the pedal goes to about the middle of the vehicle and the 2 rear ones meet it there. one of them has threads on it and the other hooks up to a thing that hooks it to the front cable. There is a spring in there too. I have had the rear brakes get hot on me after adjustment. Maybe I will try a new tension spring up by the pedal. but I need a diagram or a picture of how they all suppose to come together. I will take a picture tomorrow since I don't seem to be explaining it right.

...This might help...:dunno:

pbrake_002.jpg

pbrake_003.jpg

Yea. now yours looks wrong too.
pbrake_002ok.jpg

So the problem is first of all the cable that comes from the pedal(A) is connected to D and it only pulls on D. F is on that bracket (E) and unless that bracket is pulled the brake that that cable goes to won't engage. I think the spring (C) goes from B to E and not to the bracket that goes to the frame. I trying to understand how cable F gets pulled for the brake to work. I can pull on A with my hand and only cable D moves.

...It pulls on both of them and it works fine...;)

It might be worth pointing out that the later 93-94 cable systems did away with the "E" bracket, and the system is just the rear left side cable attached to the front, and the rear right side cable just attaches to the front and left side cables in a "Y" connection, with the tensioner spring pulling the front cable towards the rear, which also pushes the rear cables back into the drums, and leaves the cables loose so the shoes are completely disengaged.

hmm, your bracket (E) is backwards you need to turn that around and it is hooked up correctly.

parking brake issue

I was having a problem with my parking brake too, the right side doesn't apply. but It was also stuck partially on...
I noticed because I did my rear brakes, and my right drum wouldn't go back on. I realized that the parking brake was slightly on (I looked at the left side to compare).

Its almost as if the cable is an inch or two too short. and playing with the adjuster does nothing for it. The cable is tight inside the drum

I proceeded to apply and disengage the parking brake and only the left side moves/tightens. I removed the cable from the parking brake lever inside the drum but I would like to have my parking brake back, since I park a lot on hills.

I looked in my manual and saw that I'm missing the large spring C in the picture.
What role does that spring play in this system?

I have the same issue. After my lift i don't have enough cable coming from the pedal to hook back up. I backed off what i thought was the adjustment nut, but nothing changes.. And if i pull on the rear conection only the driver's side engages. But now i realize I'm missing the the large spring as well... What's funny is when i bought my ex that spring was in the drivers door pocket.. I couldn't figure out where it was meant to go, i know i hung on to it but that was 4 years ago.. Time to do some digging.

Edit- light bulb. The spring just returns the pedal when you release the brake. So its not going to play any role in adjustment, right?

Krebs21 - Correct.
Your lift shortens the brake cable so much that it is dragging a brake. The solution is to use either a extended cable made for lifted trucks or a long box Ranger (or I've heard f150) cable. Its a common problem and cheaply corrected.

Thanks. I'm going to look into getting an extended cable made.

I used garage door cable. you can buy the ferrells and crimps at lowes. I had the crimping tools from when I used to install garage doors. So far its worked great.

Back