92 Explorer, Rear Door Power Window Cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer, Rear Door Power Window Cable

majshannon

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
I've taken the door trim off and can see that the power window cable has sheared. I believe the motor is still good. I need some advice on several issues:

(1) can I prop the window glass up somehow as a temporary fix?

(2) where can I find good instructions on replacing the cable including how to access the darn thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The same thing happened to mine. I've got the window clamped shut with a pair of vice grips until I get around to fixing it. From what I've been told, you have to replace the entire "regulator:" which is rather pricey. Other than that I'm no help at all, sorry. Let me know what you find out, because I'd like to fix this, too. (When I get a round tuit.)

sAME HERE

On My fiances sisters truck. I unpluged it and ran a zip tie through a hole on the bottom of the window and two hole above the door handle. Works good will stay up!

Thanks. The vice grip suggestion worked. I had to cut a cable to get it back up. I'd like to think that I'll actually fix this some day, but the reality is probably that the vice grips will stay in the car until it hits the junkyard.

Remove motor/regulator?

Same problem here on wife's 92, both rear windows. I have used a clamp intended to lock household sliding windows.

Anyone have luck yet on an inexpensive fix? I know the motors work fine.

BTW, how in hell do you get them out? It looks like I'm gonna gave to drill a huge hole in the door to get to one of the bolts.

No help other than what you can see here. The vice grips have worked very well. I don't know how you'll get the motor/regulator out. With all the other honey do projects I have around the house, I have serious doubts that this window will every be fixed.

I took mine out when I found the problem. I don't remember how; I seem to recall having to drill a couple of holes for access to the mounting screws. It seems to me there were some dimples in the sheet metal to mark the appropriate drill spots. It's just been too long since I did it though.

I had to replace the right rear door window regulator about a month ago. The cable was shot and I ended up having to hold the track up with a pair of visegrips. Happened one month after I had rebuild the window lift motor.

The total replacement took about 2-3 hours. I picked up a complete cable unit with motor at a junk yard for $75. You will need to replace the 1/4" rivits with stainless steel bolts and nuts. It also helps to have some replacement plastic pins to replace some of the old ones holding on the door panel. Be careful when you drill out the rivits that hold the window glass to the regulator.

Check out the r/r article at Dead Link Removed for a general idea on what to do. Search this site for info on how to remove the door panel.

Do the work on a warm sunny day if possible, it made the job a lot more reasonable than working outside in the cold.:)

Back