92 Explorer rear Drum axle to disc conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer rear Drum axle to disc conversion

chaos2084

Reaction score
City, State
Tillamook, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Explorer
Question about proportioning valves. Does it matter which one you have to use. I'm leaning towards a SSBC or Wilwood both have 100psi-3,000psi and both are the same price. Any input would be appreciated :).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need one, the RABS valve is a proportioning valve. They just added a solenoid to it so it can be controlled. (forced to work wrong) if that makes sense?

Just swap in a rear disk model master cylinder and down the road.

95' without the cruise control switch is what you want.

If you can't find one without cruise, you can just screw a flare plug in the cruise control switch hole.

That worked for me!

Its a 98 axle but im guessing that doesnt matter as long as its a 95 and newer master cylinder without cruise control?

Its a 98 axle but im guessing that doesnt matter as long as its a 95 and newer master cylinder without cruise control?

And without a proportion valve

So i would just keep the stock one in? Seems pretty simple just a few brake lines a 95+ master cylinder without a proportion valve and no cruise control and looks like i will be set.

So i would just keep the stock one in? Seems pretty simple just a few brake lines a 95+ master cylinder without a proportion valve and no cruise control and looks like i will be set.

Yep.about the simplest swap you can do.personally I would swap the whole axle, much easier. And you dont or wont need brake lines, its a direct bolt in swap

ya I'm getting the full axle all cables and everything plus the springs which I dont need anyways because there stock and I already have a 5.5" lift springs in the rear. so looks like it will be quick and painless

Yep, Mine is also out of a 98'

No special reason I chose the 98' it was just that the truck was front end totaled at 32,000 miles. Nice and clean.

Ya i found this one for a couple hundred the guy had a detroit for it but sold it already would of been 450$ for the whole axle and detroit. But hes giving me the complete axle for 250$ so im not complaining. Picking it up friday probably have it in wednesday or thursday next week.

I cant seem to find the right master cylinder from a 95+ explorer that will fit into my lines all the ones have three ports one small one on top then another small one on the side then a big on on the side in the middle. I only have two hardlines but every other one I've seen for a 95+ has at least 3 ports on it any help would be appreciated.

You got the wrong one.it needs to have NO options. .no abs no proportion valve and no cruise.

You got the wrong one.it needs to have NO options. .no abs no proportion valve and no cruise.

Thats what I told the auto parts store I think I got the number for the right one they ordered me one for a 98 but the one for the 98 and 95's are different. I will have to take it back and make sure they order the right one this time.

Thats what I told the auto parts store I think I got the number for the right one they ordered me one for a 98 but the one for the 98 and 95's are different. I will have to take it back and make sure they order the right one this time.

Yea they are.they only make one specific model that works and looks exactly like the first gen stock unit.surprise they didnt have it in stock.I bought a reman online from advance and after coupons it was like $30 or cheaper;)

Quick question couldnt you just unbolt the whole drum brake setup then bolt on the disc brake setup from the donor axle replace the master cylinder hook up brake lines then be good. Because from my understanding and looking at them the axle tubes and mounting points are exactly the same.

Its alot harder.your need to pull the axles also which means taking the pumpkin apart to remove the c-clips...much easier to swap axles..

Ok the only thing the "new" axle needs is the s-clip installed so when the right master cylinder comes in i will just swap everything in. Now just need to find 4.10 gears for the front.

Ok i have a 91 rwd explorer. And i have a 95 or 97 donor i cant check right now because i have it at my in laws shop. But anyways my 91 is a 5 speed and the donor is automatic. What would happen if i swap the differential?? Will i gain top speed and lack power or will i gain launch but loose top speed??? Or what would happen??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok i have a 91 rwd explorer. And i have a 95 or 97 donor i cant check right now because i have it at my in laws shop. But anyways my 91 is a 5 speed and the donor is automatic. What would happen if i swap the differential?? Will i gain top speed and lack power or will i gain launch but loose top speed??? Or what would happen??

Depends what gears each has...you definitely gain breaking power,the main reason for the swap

Back