• Register Today It's free!

92 explorer start issue.

1Graywolf

Reaction score
City, State
Houston Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer xlt
I am working on my 92 explorer. Replaced fuel pump, cleaned tank, and replaced filter. Checked fuel shut off switch and it was not activated. Loosened fuel fitting on top of engine and it gets fuel. Will not start. Pulled air intake line off and it would start if I held a gas soaked rag over it. What am I missing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the elements to start

fuel
air
spark
compression
timing

youve got fuel/air

can you check that you get spark? they make testers that light up. comrpession is tested when plugs are out for testing for spark. timing... well... chec the others first then maybe that...

Thanks for the reply. It has spark. It will run if I spray fuel in air intake. I don't know if the injectors are plugged. Fuel in tank was varnished and dirty. Fuel pump was rusted and trashed. Cut open fuel filter and it was plenty dirty. I blew out lines before putting everything back together.

That would be my guess, fuel injectors need pulled and cleaned or replaced.

Injectors. JC has the most likely answer.

I just checked schrader valve on the fuel rail. Fuel squirts out for a second when cycling the key. how big a job is it to pull injectors?

my guess =weak fuel pump

You should actually check fuel pressure first.

10 psi will spray from the fitting which looks like fuel pump works, but aha! will not pass thru injectors.

in a pinch you can use a dial ( round) type air pressure gauge to check fuel pressure. It should go over 30 psi .

that leads me to believe then its an injector issue. you can get new/rebuilt ones, or get them cleaned. iirc ratchets and wrenches had a vid on it. pulling injector aint hard, on 2nd gen at least you can remove the intake mani and then iirc they can be removed, dont quote me on that though! do test pressure to see, iirc its somewhere around 50? or am i mixing something else up, might just be the lack of coffee getting to me!

I'm going to dispute the fuel injector theory until the fuel pressure is checked first. one or 2 injectors clogged yeah, and it should still fire. It's possible all 6 injectors are clogged but if there is enough fuel pressure i'd think it would still fire up., even if the injectors were "clogged" . The only way I could see that exessive of a clog build up would be if the fuel line was left disconnected long enough for a spider -insect to build a nest in the tube-

Thanks for the info. Explore has set for 3 years. I am going to oreilys to rent a fuel pressure kit to see what the pressure is. Could it be the fuel pressure regulator?

Get the fuel pressure reading and then go from there. It should be in the 30's. Sitting for 3 years it wouldn't surprise me if all the injectors are too clogged to work, though no point in pulling the fuel rail until the fuel pressure is good.

Do what everyone says to check fuel pressure. But, when it sat that long, you'll have a happier engine if you have a clean set of injectors.
Especially, as you noted above, you' already have a new pump, filter and cleaned the fuel tank and lines.

I just pulled the vacume line off the regulator and it had some fuel in it. Pulled it off and where the fuel line attaches it looked like dirt or rust was in it.

make sure thats all cleaned, not 100% what you wnt to see though. ensure there is adequate pressure then proceed with injector cleaning, etc!

I figured to replace regulator, seeing as everything else was trashed. Will let y'all know after I install the regulator. Thanks again for the info.

doubt regulator will cause the issue, and imo its firing the parts cannon a bit, but let us know the results!

I just pulled the vacume line off the regulator and it had some fuel in it. Pulled it off and where the fuel line attaches it looked like dirt or rust was in it.
If there was fuel in the vac line to it, yes it's shot and should be replaced... whether that is your primary problem, I'd replace it then wait and see.

Fuel in vacuum line = bad regulator must be replaced

You need 34-42 psi at the fuel rail

Until you confirm fuel pressure it is pointless to guess

Hi y'all here is the update. Installed new pressure regulator. Tested fuel pressure at Schrader valve, its at 38 psi. Still no start. I guess next stop is injectors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back