• Register Today It's free!

'92 Explorer steering column

logeorge

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Took my '92 Explorer 2WD for alignment last week. The proprietor called my attention to the broken coupling, or "rag joint" in the steering column and also showed me that the steering shaft had a lot of play where it exits the column. This vehicle has a 5 speed with floor shift. Originally it was automatic. When the transmission was changed, the column was changed also. My question is: is there a bushing in the column that can be replaced? If so, what is involved in changing it? I've asked the dealer, several mechanics and been on web sites trying to get info and can't find a thing. L. O. George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like it is actually a roller bearing. Hard to tell from this diagram.

dd20606e-e9c1-4dac-b7b2-751a50900e07_zpsf8962138.png

Probably a common bearing. Just have to get it out and take it to a parts store who specializes in bearings and match it up, or grab one from the bone yard.

Dealer shows it as a bearing for $13. The dealer sight I was at did not provide a part number though. dummies.

steering column bearing

The Ford dealer in Huntsville, AL says it is obsolete and they can't order it.
Where did you get the exploded view? I went on LMC's website and they don't show anything for the lower end of the column. Called James Duff's, but they couldn't find anything about it, either.

I've never had one of these apart, and yes it is confusing on the part numbers and location of the bearing from the diagrams. (which I found on eBay BTW)

F3TZ3517A This part number was used on Aerostar, all E series and F series but no mention for the explorer. And it appears to be for the upper and lower of the Tilt assy only.

At this point I'm thinking it may be a bushing and not a bearing on the Ex's and comes with the shift tube.

You can find the shift tube no problem but can't confirm whether it comes with the bearing/bushing or not.

I suggest hit'n the Junk Yard and pull a column out and disassemble it for a closer look.

Back