• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer Stuck in 4Lo

Siekyre

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 5.0 XLT
Today my step daughter decided to hit the 4wd button, then the 4 lo button several times real fast while driving down the road (She thought we left the t-case wires disconnected, but they weren't) and it shifted (after a long delay) into 4wd but then wouldn't come out. We stopped the truck and put it in neutral then hit the 4wd button to go back to 2wd, but it didn't. Then we tried the 4lo button and it went into 4lo just fine. Now it won't come out. So basically, it seems to be willing to rotate one direction but not the other. Then motor will rotate both directions with a jumper.. Does any one have any idea where to go from here? We are going to manually put it back to 2wd, so she can drive it.

Thanks,

Siek

As a last ditch effort, you can put the truck in Neutral (block all wheels). You can then remove the transfer case shift motor, and then take a stout pliers and manually turn the T-case actuator rod.

That's a "last resort" type of option though.

You might be better off changing the t-case fluid FIRST, and then seeing if that frees it up enough to activate.

if your t-case shift motor is shot, there is a good thread here on EF about rebuilding it.
Also, there is the Shiftster:
http://theshiftster.com/

...which allows you to bypass the shift motor.

Make sure you have the brake pedal engaged too, otherwise it shouldn't engage/disengage!

In neutral, at standstill, out of gear and in 4WD and brake pedal depressed, then disengage or engage 4Lo.

I've read about this a few times, even saw one locally. I don't know what the fix is but I'd start at manually selecting the position with a pair of pliers. If that works, I'd rebuild the shift motor and all should be well. If that fails, there's a diagnostic mode on the 4x4 computer in the rear cargo area, a little button on the bottom you press and there's a light that blinks at you.

Back