92 Explorer Tranny/4x4 Problems

The Conquistador

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
Ok. Here is my problem:
4x4 will not engage. No sounds, no lights on the dash, nothing. Checked fuses. Good. I removed the pushbutton control. Checked for power. There is power in the wires. However, no lights will come on the pushbutton control. I crossed some circuits and the 4x4 and low range lights came on and off on the dash, but no sounds. After this, went to drive truck home and all of a sudden the automatic transmission is acting as follows:
1. OD inoperative
2. D operative slightly. will go up to 5,000 rpm before shifting. when I stop, D sometimes will not re-engage.
3. 1st and 2nd gear operative, but acting like D.
I checked trans fluid level. It was high and I syphoned approx. 1.25 qt. out. Drove the truck same day and conditioned seemed worse. I'm taking the truck to get a $75.00 diagnostic check tomorrow. Obviously, I should probably remove and clean the electric shift motor and check the electronic control module. Possibly should replace the pushbutton transfer shift control also. My main concern at this point is the auto. tranny. Is it going out or does my tinkering with the 4x4 switch have anything to do with it. If I fix the 4x4 system, will my auto. come back? What steps should I take at this point? I will greatly appreciate any responses and will continue to update the forum on my progress. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Fourm!

I'm moving this to the Transmission and Transfer Case section for better visibility.

i have had trouble with mine im on my third tranny its a 92 but i think thats from towing a boat every weekend for 5 years???

Here is my progress so far:
1. I checked the LR Test light and it stayed bright. This is suppose to mean I have a circuit board problem. Where is it? How do I test it? How much is a new one?
2. Pulled Shift Motor and 12v tested it. Works good.
How do you know where the Shift Position Sensor is suppose to line up? Also, will 4H and 4L work in OD? Does the truck have to be in N to shift from 4L to 2H or does the truck need to be moving?

Back