• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer with Ticking Sound??

jch5185

Reaction score
City, State
Lilburn, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
I have owned my 92 Ford Explorer for 10 years now. It is coming up on its 18th birthday. Its an old Explorer but still in good shape for its age. Recently I have noticed a ticking sound coming from my engine. As I accelerate press the gas pedal and rpms rise, the ticking sound becomes faster. When I depress the gas pedal the ticking sounds slows down to idle speed. I don't know what this could be. The serpentine belt is ok. Its coming from the bottom of the engine. I have already performed an oil change, but still the ticking persists. Any help or comments before I take it to the shop? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 92 does the same thing, for about 8-10 minutes (until it gets warm) when I need an oil change, then usually new oil cures the problem for me, I would like to know what it is though too...

Probably lifters...add a can of Engine Restore.:usa:

Both sounds like sticky lifters to me. Add a qt of auto trany oil and it will clean them p from any gun and varnish that makes them stick. then change your oil as normal no reason to change it right away it will clean up a lot of gum and vanish form the inside but the lifters are hydraulic and they need to be clean because of how they work with there tight clearances.

Yes that is indeed lifter tap. Infamous issue with the 4.0 OHV motor. However annoying, it is mostly harmless to the motor, but usually just gets worse with age. Many motors with this have ticked on past 300k without problems. So it's really just an annoyance. My motor does it, I wish it didnt, but its been going on too long I think to fix it without replacing the lifters, which is expensive and involves a lot of tear down to get to them.

So, if I add a qt. of automatic transmission fluid to the oil, the lifter noise may go away or not? I agree to replace them would essentially be perfoming an engine overhaul. Just to get to the manifolds I would have to disassemble most of the engine components just to have clearance to get to them. I might try adding a qt of transmission fluid this week and see how it goes.

add a qt. of automatic transmission fluid to the oil, the lifter noise may go away.
that is right and It has worked for me on a few cars and my own 93 explorer also.

Back