• Register Today It's free!

92 EXPLORER XLT Brake Prob

gforceman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia beach VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited 4.6 V8
replaced the rotors today , ok all good , but as before i have to depress on the pedal harder than normal to stop , seems the pedal almost bottoms but doesnt , and the passenger wheel will lock the drivers does not , truck isnt pulling when hitting the brake pedal , the calipers are free and are not hanging up , i thought maybe the Master Cylinder was on its way out , the booster seems to be working i dont hear any vacuum leaks , the brakes work and are smooth, except stated above, any help would be great !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you tried bleeding the brakes and have you broken/bedding them in yet?

bleeding them no ,, i am going to do that , to see if theres a difference , breaking them in , well drove it once to test , how do u break in new rotors

You don't break them in really. There is a minor break in period for pads; just be easy on them for the first 100ish miles.

If you have a braking imbalance on the front, then your issue is in the calipers, lines or hoses. The master supplies pressure evenly to both front wheels as it is only one cylinder. Calipers can move okay but still stick while operating. I have also seen the rubber hoses break down on the inside and create a one way valve so to speak. The inner lining would hold pressure even after releasing the pedal or clog up completely not allowing fluid to pass. These lines still looked good from the outside.

If they have been in there a long time, I would replace all the rubber lines and the calipers at least and bleed the whole system.

well the rubber hoses to the calipers are badly frayed by the caliper and on the connecting end ,, ill have to replace them anyway.. afraid they both will bust open soon ,, Originial hoses from 92 , i just dont like how the pedal feels its not stiff and the travel , ill replace the hoses bleed and see from there . and ... the rears are a PITA to bleed cuz of the cheap ABS system on that truck is it a good idea to by pass the ABS valve ? i seen people do it .. i know it was replaced becasue of an abs light from prior owner and i think he got that part ( abs vale modual ) from another truck.

If its not leaking, i wouldn't mess with it. You can bypass it, I have done it on two of mine. The rears bleed the same as the front. You do not have to do anything special with the ABS valve on your 92, to bleed the brakes.

Back