92 Explorer XLT Dome light problem (stays on) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer XLT Dome light problem (stays on)

trollkepr

Reaction score
City, State
OKC, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 2X4
My dome light stays on all the time. I can't find a 92 schematic. The 94 manual says it is #14 but it isn't. I removed all the fuses one at a time on the inside fuse panel and none of them seemed to turn off the light. I would like to fix the problem but killing the circuit is fine for now so I don't run down the battery. Is there some weird wiring system that I need to know about? Can someone look up the fuse on the 92 that it is supposed to be? I searched the net and this forum and can't find the 92 info.

Removing the dome light bulbs did not stop the battery from running down.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MustangFuseBox.gif

0900c1528018efb8.gif

Thanks Kobe,

The top diagram is the right one for my '92 Explorer but as you will see there is no fuse listed as being for the dome light. Are there electrical schematics where you found the fuse diagram to figure out how the dome light is wired?

Anyone else have ideas about how to fix my constant on dome light problem?

I had that problem on my 92, the culprit was one of the push thingys in the door jamb (yes this the professional term for it, lol!)...ok it's the courtesy lamp switch. Mine was siezed far enough open to keep the lights on even with the door closed. I was lucky to have a donor ex to simply pull one off and replace it. They should be dirt cheap at a pull a part or for $6 on rockauto MOTORCRAFT Part # SW6345.

I will have the switches changed later today but in one post on Answers.com it said if the switch does not fix it then there is a problem with the GEM thinking the door is open. What is the GEM?

The passenger side door jam switch crapped out on my '91 and the light stayed on.

Easy enough to unscrew and take a look. The light goes on when the wire in the switch shorts to the Door Pillar.

Quick fix- I had the same problem.

In a pinch I put a penny with some electrical tape on the door where it hits the door jam light switch. Certainly a new switch is the proper fix.

Thanks for all your help. I found the bad switch. It was the least used door, the passenger side rear door. The switch was crushed, keeping it on all the time. I ended up replacing all but that one. The wire fell into the door and resisted my attempts to fish it out. Since it is the least used door, I will just leave it out for now.

Thanks for all your help. I found the bad switch. It was the least used door, the passenger side rear door. The switch was crushed, keeping it on all the time. I ended up replacing all but that one. The wire fell into the door and resisted my attempts to fish it out. Since it is the least used door, I will just leave it out for now.

If you pull the floor trim piece, you should gain better access to the wire. 3 or 4 screws (don't forget the one on the pillar) and it's all one piece from the front to the back.

I had the same problem just yesterday with the dome light staying on. I had the door ajar light a couple weeks which i solved with some wd-40.

being i was out of wd-40 i used about an entire can of pb lube. nothing. light stayed on.

went to store to get some and a couple sprays later it went off.

moral of story i suppose is wd40>>>pb lube.

WD-40 is a short time lubricant. Not a rust Inhibitor. It will not last for more then one soaking with water. It's literally fish oil.

PB is not a lubricant but a Rust inhibitor. designed to sneak in and loosen rusted hardware.

Neither one is good for these little switches on the long term.
Taking teh switch off the door and lubing it with Lithium or bearing Grease on the areas that are not used to making an electrical connection Might work. usually they hang up and bind because teh cheest nylon levers are worn.

WD-40 is a short time lubricant. Not a rust Inhibitor. It will not last for more then one soaking with water. It's literally fish oil.

PB is not a lubricant but a Rust inhibitor. designed to sneak in and loosen rusted hardware.

Neither one is good for these little switches on the long term.
Taking the switch off the door and lubing it with Lithium or bearing Grease on the areas that are not used to making an electrical connection Might work. usually they hang up and bind because the cheest nylon levers are worn.

thats why i said this one said PB lube on the can.

JUST got my SPORT

I was cleaning my SPORT and I noticed the Dome light and the back light remains on. Which im thinking would drain my battery. Looked for a switch since the dome do not have a switch. What I did was I pulled #1 fuse which shut it off.
Is there a way to switch it off and on? I was inside at night and I need a light but I do not know where the switch is. I have to open the door for the light and I would get this loud ding ding ding noise.
Any SWITCH? THNX....

Normally the head light switch is also the same one for the dome light. you just turn it left counter clock wise and it should turn the dome one go right or clock wise and it should go off . This will also control the brightness of your dash lights too. Some have a switch right next to the head light switch also and it is normally a rolling switch again all the way up dome on down for off and it also controls the dash light brightness. Hope that helps ya

Thanks Huntman

After reading the manuals I tried doing what you said but it is not working. I need my radio so pulling off the fuse is not an option. do i have a bad switch? everything works except for the dome and back light.
Im thinking of changing for aftermarkets with the switch attached.

You need to trouble shoot the problem down to the faulty device.
I would start by removing one courtesy lamp switch at a time, if the dome light goes off you have found the faulty switch. Just don't let the wires fall back into the hole when you are disconnecting the switch. Or even just look at all of the switches, if one stays depressed even after you open the door you have most likely found it.

Problem solved!

THANKS A LOT TUCKMAN..... you saved me some dollars....

Back