92 Ford Explorer Auto- Transmission Not Shifting Into Overdrive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Ford Explorer Auto- Transmission Not Shifting Into Overdrive

jrf1963

Reaction score
City, State
Hollister, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
I have a 1992 Ford Explorer 4.0 6 cyl with an auto transmission. When shifter is in the overdrive position the tranny shifts into tthe first 3 gears fine but won't shift into 4th/overdrive and at 60 mph i'm running at about 2800 rpms. Anyone have any ideas why. This Transmission was rebuilt about a year ago and worked fine. I removed it from an Explorer that had a blown engine and put it into my current Explorer. Thanks for any help or ideas anyone can give me.

I have a 1992 Ford Explorer 4.0 6 cyl with an auto transmission. When shifter is in the overdrive position the tranny shifts into tthe first 3 gears fine but won't shift into 4th/overdrive and at 60 mph i'm running at about 2800 rpms. Anyone have any ideas why. This Transmission was rebuilt about a year ago and worked fine. I removed it from an Explorer that had a blown engine and put it into my current Explorer. Thanks for any help or ideas anyone can give me.

ok you did a tranny swap it worked fine b4 u swapped it? My first guess would be the shift linkage. make sure it did not get bent or that it's hitting off of anything. And did you own and drive the explorer with the blown engine? If not It might have had this problem b4 hand. Good luck..

Where 3-4 shift are computer controlled, probably the first thing I'd do would be to pull codes from the computer (see stickies in EEC-IV forum). Many engine management issues can prevent the computer from "choosing" to upshift into 4th gear. You can also use a multimeter, a wiring diagram, and the output state test to determine if the problem is electrical or mechanical/hydraulic.

did you try some lucus tranny fix,I have a 1992 Ford Explorer 4.0 6 cyl with an auto transmission with the same trouble it turned out it had a sticky valve in the valve body so i put in about a cup full then soon as i hit the road it went right into overdrive and worked perfect and still is i guess its probley worth a try.

Back