92 Ford Explorer front shock replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Ford Explorer front shock replacement

BigGreenShitbox

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
Hi all,
I'm not much of a mechanic yet, I'm having to learn some stuff so this car doesn't break my bank. Previous owners cut some corners on the upgrades so there's plenty of room for improvement. I'm replacing the front shocks, first 'major' DIY repair. I've got a few questions that probably have pretty simple answers, but google isn't super helpful for this car. Here goes.

-The lift made a good amount of space behind the front tires, will I still want to remove them to access the shocks?
-Where can I find torque specs for the bolts?
-What's a good jack point for this job? Normal one is right on the bottom shock mount. Do I still use it but then put stands somewhere else? I'm not familiar with the procedure.

any other tips would be appreciated.
thanks

pictures:

tempImage5hjEMK.jpg

tempImageTI7i86.jpg

IMG_3824.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,
I'm not much of a mechanic yet, I'm having to learn some stuff so this car doesn't break my bank. Previous owners cut some corners on the upgrades so there's plenty of room for improvement. I'm replacing the front shocks, first 'major' DIY repair. I've got a few questions that probably have pretty simple answers, but google isn't super helpful for this car. Here goes.

-The lift made a good amount of space behind the front tires, will I still want to remove them to access the shocks?
-Where can I find torque specs for the bolts?
-What's a good jack point for this job? Normal one is right on the bottom shock mount. Do I still use it but then put stands somewhere else? I'm not familiar with the procedure.

any other tips would be appreciated.
thanks

pictures:

View attachment 431524

View attachment 431523
View attachment 431525
nice rig!
1. imo i would still remove the tire, not a big deal imo, can do it real fast!
2. not sure, i just tighten it down nicely
3. iirc i put the jack on my 2g on one of the frame points, forgetting exactly where off the top of my head.

nice rig!
1. imo i would still remove the tire, not a big deal imo, can do it real fast!
2. not sure, i just tighten it down nicely
3. iirc i put the jack on my 2g on one of the frame points, forgetting exactly where off the top of my head.
Good to know. So for the jack it just has to be a point that isn't on the front axle? I'm assuming I don't want any weight on the front suspension.

Why are you replacing them?

Good to know. So for the jack it just has to be a point that isn't on the front axle? I'm assuming I don't want any weight on the front suspension.
yes you want it at full droop 👍

I wouldn't even bother with a jack tbh. Turn the wheels if you want the extra space and do it in the driveway wherever you're parked.

If it’s a gas (compressed) shock, maybe pull the wheel because you may need to position yourself to fight it on there. Otherwise, try with the wheel on, should be okay. One nut on top, one on the bottom, pull the old one off, slip the new one on.

What kind of suspension lift is that, and how tall? Just wondering.

Back