92 Ford Explorer XLT starts chugging & check eng lite after running good for 15 mins | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Ford Explorer XLT starts chugging & check eng lite after running good for 15 mins

mrbarnard

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd 4.0L (California vehicle) runs good for about 15 minutes, then suddenly starts 'chugging,' loses power, and check engine light comes on. After sitting overnight, it will again run good for about 15 minutes, then repeats the problem.

This problem began AFTER smog check test failed (it ran smoothly all the time before) and after, as was recommended to me, I replaced the 02 sensor. (Failure of smog check, it turns out, was more likely because, unknown, a 10" piece of exhaust pipe was missing, so Catalytic Converter was not connected to the tailpipe).

I had a mechanic scope the Explorer but he could not determine a specific failure from the codes, although he suggested possibly it's the missing 'Octane Adjust Shorting Bar,' or maybe the 'crank position sensor' is bad, but he could not give a diagnosis.

Is anyone familiar with a problem like this?

I'll second that diagnosis:

It's the temp sensor for the PCM

The one "near" The housing for the PCM looks like this.

It is a bad Temp sensor.
getimage.php

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=951148&cc=1119631

Been here, done that already on the 94.

There are (2) sensors, so make sure you change the one that has a cone on the end of it, next to the thermostat housing.

Thank's for this gman!

Back